Mud Dobbers and tools don't mix - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2005, 12:06 PM
Bugs

Wiki Edits: 0

Mud Dobbers and tools don't mix

I had this under the "Compressor which one to buy" thread and oldred said it should have it's own thread so maybe it would help some of us in the future, I hope it does

My son and I bought a commpressor, it was a 60 gal. 6hp 220V, it was a good compressor, it would put out enough air to run my sand blaster non stop if I wanted to push it, BUT , it has a V-twin pump on it, one of the oilless type compressors, you could look up under the plastic cover on it and see the bottom of the pistons,cylinder walls and the rods, it has sealed bearings on the rods and the wrist pins,

I turned it on one day and heard a weird noise and seen a puff of dust come out of it, I didn't think much of it at the time but from that day on I noticed it was takeing longer than normal to build up air pessure and shut off and I would run out of air very quickly when doing any sand blasting,

It was out of warrenty by this time , I put a new filter in it but that didn't help a bit, I took the plastic cover off of it and looked at the bottom of the pistons and noticed a lot of scareing and scratches on the cylinder walls, so I took it apart, the pistons on this thing are only like an inch tall, they have a neopreme(sp?) ring on them instead of a steel one and the rings on both pistons were worn down the metal on the pistons

What had happened is ,I have a lot of those wasp called Mud Dobbers around here and they had built their nest up under it on the cylinder walls,it had been a while between uses giveing them the time to build their nest, their nest being made of dirt and sand ate the rings right up on it when I turned it on, this was the noise and the puff of dust I had seen earlier, I looked and parts of the nest were laying on the floor under it,

This a poor design if you asked me, I wrote to the company that made the commpressor and complained about it but I never heard a thing from them, I also asked for a parts list so I could rebuild it , they have yet to send me that either,I bought a new smaller compressor with a twin cylinder that is sealed completely up, the old fashion kind that you have to put oil in ,so if any of you have this type of compressor here is a tip for you,

You might want to take some small mesh screen and put it around the top of the compressor, like window screen, and tape it along the bottom of the tank to keep these wasp out, it is a shame that a tiny wasp can destroy a $600.00 machine but they can, I hope this helps some of you

This is a Charge Air Pro, Made by the Devilbiss Air Power Co. by the way

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2005, 12:37 PM

Last photo:

I made a service call about a year ago on a gas powered compressor and the intake on the engine was plugged by one of those things, had it choked down where it would barely run. Seems they just love air tools and hydraulic hoses along with the air intake on about anything. It don't have to be something that has sat idle for a while either I have seen them plug things in a day's time.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:46 PM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I can relate to that... I keep all of my disconnects covered with vacuum caps.
A few years ago I was in the shop and heard this buzzing noise... I found a HUGE mud nest on the underside of a cardboard box lid. The buzzing was from the new hatch of bees beating their wings against the box while digging out of their mud cells. I killed 'em... killed 'em all...
Mark
Old 11-02-2005, 01:07 PM

Last photo:

It might be interesting to hear some of the storys about these things I am sure there are a bunch to tell
Old 11-02-2005, 01:26 PM
Bugs

I have even tried spraying my air chucks and fittings with W/D 40 when not in use, this don't work either, I think they get high on it as they build their nest, it didn't slow them down a bit

Are there Mud Dobbers up north? I am originaly from Pa. but I don't remember ever seeing any,but I was young and didn't have tools laying around back then either
Old 11-02-2005, 01:43 PM

Last photo:

YES, there are mud daubers up North!!! The miserable things get into any small hole they can. Trans vents. Holley bowl vents. Any air tools that set for more than a couple of days. They seem to love the air filter housing on my air compressor. and the inner lid on my TIG welder..
Old 11-02-2005, 02:17 PM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

my free 289 has darn near every hole plugged by them now.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:05 PM

Last wiki edit: How to document your project
Last journal entry: 1949 Olds -- Rotisserie, pt. 9
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

They come in all sizes. One managed to squeeze through a tiny vent hole in an otherwise sealed auxillary cooling fan motor and built its nest right on the thermal overload switch. Cost me $110 for a rebuilt one. Same thing happened to the motor on a table saw, except I found it (by that pungent odor of overheated electrical devices) before the motor was ruined.

If you have a weed whacker that won't start, take the muffler apart and poke around every opening with a wire. Several times I've dug out a nest that way.

I keep a piece of masking tape over the air inlet of my paint guns. I didn't do that for my die grinder and had to dig dirt out of it.

I don't mind those neat TIG-weld looking nests on joists and walls, and mud daubers are a lot easier to get along with than those big red wasps or the yellow striped ones, but I hate those big mudball looking things you find in alternators and other places on engines. Oh well, at least they're fairly peaceful pollenators.

They also seem to love any piece of heater hose or vacuum line hanging around.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:24 PM

Last journal entry: frame build
Last photo:

Oh yes, we have daubers in the north. They went through the outdrive and manifolds on my boat and built a nest in the #4 cylinder. Completely destroyed the 260 mercruiser when I fired it up,so I had to replace it with a ZZ4
Old 11-03-2005, 11:40 AM
Bugs

That really sucks about the Mercruiser just like you all I have a few small blocks in a shed on the end of my house along with some heads, and every hole nook and cranny is welded shut with their nest, it seems there should be some kind of spray that you could put on stuff that would run them away, like I said W/D40 won't do it, I wonder how they would like Pam, I think I will do some test on old air tools and see what might work, one good thing about them is I have never been stung by one of them

Ya'll don't forget, if you have an Oil-less compressor to put screen around it and to check for nest on the cylinder walls, I would hate for what happened to me happen to any of you when it could have been avoided, one never knows until it's to late, I still can't understand why the compressor co. never got back with me, seems like they might not make a rebuild kit for mine, all it would consist of is two new cylinder sleeves and two pistons, the rest of it is still like new

Has any of you ever heard of rebuilding one? Or are they "Run em till they break and throw them away"? Like a Yugo
Old 11-03-2005, 07:01 PM

Last wiki edit: How to document your project
Last journal entry: 1949 Olds -- Rotisserie, pt. 9
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Bugs:
I had a DeVilbiss Charge Air Pro that stopped working. I rebuilt it and the next time it quit was by sending its tiny little piston through the side of the cylinder. Scared the crap outta me. It's just a tank and a "5 HP" motor (riiiight, at 120V, it's really 3 HP) now.

Here's where I got the parts, but I think you'd be money ahead in the long run to just scrap it and get a good, oilled compressor:

http://www.msservice.net/
Old 11-04-2005, 11:25 AM
Bugs

Thanks Grouch, I will check it out and see what they want for a rebuild kit on it and let you know, I most likely will just plumb my small oiled compressor into for more bulk air and throw the pump away, it's a damn shame though , the motor is almost new but it has a funky shaped shaft comeing out of it built just for the pump, I don't know if it could be used to power a oiled compressor or not, it has been so long since I looked at it all I can remember is the output shaft is weird, I beleive the rods hooked directly to it or something, I will see when I make up my mind as to what I am going to do with it, Thanks again, Bugs
Old 11-04-2005, 12:08 PM
Bugs

I went to the site you sent me grouch, it came to $171.80 plus shipping just for the pistons(if you want to call them that) rods,sleeve and rings, I think I will pass, it is a poor design if you asked me from the get go, the pistons are nothing more than a flat 1/4" plate of aluminum,the rings are just a circle of plastic and the so called pistons are held to the rod with a single phillips head screw, I was thinking that it had wrist pins but it don't , the piston screws solid to the top of the rod and the piston wobbles(for lack of a better term) inside the cylinder sleeve as it rotates, I can surely see why yours can apart and I don't see how mine stayed together as long as it did, plus the fact that has been brought up about the noise they make it's just not worth it,

I will point this out to my son and I am sure he will say "Junk it" I see now why the company never got back to me, if I built something this crappy I would be ashamed of it too

Just say NO to oiless compressors, IMHO
Old 11-04-2005, 01:33 PM

Last photo:

Bugs, I didn't want to say anything but the fact is those oiless compressors would be a bad deal if they were free. Not sure what you have now or what it is used for but some of the bargain priced conventional design compressors can a good buy for hobby type body and such but be careful and check them out thoroughly before buying one.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:24 PM
Bugs

You know the truth Oldred, I never even really checked out what it was until just now when you asked about it,

What happened is I went fishing one day(salt water) and on the way there I broke a leaf spring on my boat trailer due to rust and the other one wasn't far behind it, I cobbled it up along side of the road and went on fishing, my wife and I, it made for a bad day fishing however having to worry about the trip home,(50 miles) if we were going to safely make it or not,knowing how rusted up the bolts were on the trailer I had to have a compressor to run my impact so I could fix it, I had the springs and hardware at the house , I had just been putting off changeing them, anyway Lowes was on the way home so I swung in there leaveing the wife with the boat and truck to keep an eye on things,

She was tired and hot so I hauled *** in to the store and grabbed a fair looking compressor on wheels so I could do this as fast as possible, I figured I could always give it to my son later on when I got serious about buying a bigger one,(he has his own place now)

I just went out and wrote down the info on it,

It's a Campbell Hausfeld
5hp, 120V
20gallon tank,(I thought all this time it was bigger than that)
6.6 SCFM @40psi
5.8 SCFM @90psi
135 Max psi
and this is what it says on the compressor cover
3000hrs.
Twin Cylinder
100% Duty Cycle
3 year warranty

I like it just fine, it is very quiet compared to the Oilless one, I haven't tried to run my air sander on it yet but it does fine with all my air tools I have used on it so far, seems to build up fairly fast also,

I just use it for tinkering around the house on boats and vehicles , I don't do anything to serious with it and haven't used my sand blaster on it, I am sure this would kill it 100% duty cycle or not,

I want to say I paid like $389.00 or in that area for it, maybe less, I stuck it on my Lowes CC is the reason I can't remember how much it cost for sure, so for a spur of the moment purchase I guess it wasn't to bad, the wife wasn't to happy but she got over it

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.