Hot Rod Forum banner

which muffler?

3K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  red406 
#1 ·
getting geared up to get exhaust installed on my v8 ranger with hedman shorty headers..i have 2 mufflers, 1 is a glasspack and the other is a flowmaster that has 1 in and 2 out..im wanting duels out the back and im looking for a deep rumble sound but not really loud..just a good low tone to compliment the v8..what would you guys use..

#2 ·
I've got the Flowmaster Hushpower II's on my hot rod, nice throaty rumble, they cost about $110-$130 each but they are stainless. The glass packs are cheaply made, that's why they cost so little and are LOUD!!!! and get louder as they get older. You can find the Hushpowers on ebay also for a price comparison.

#5 ·
hddave1 said:
here is a few pics of the flowmaster i was thinking about using...as you can see i would run my headers into the y pipe and the 2 pipes out the back so i guess this wouldnt be true duels.. i am ok with that as long as it dont hurt power or sound sh$tty...what do you guys think..
That's what that Flowmaster is used for. Single in, dual out. Should sound "OK" but a true dual exhaust would sound better. JMHO
There are mufflers on ebay now that have the same sound as Flowmasters for almost 1/3rd the cost. I bought a PAIR for $56.00 and they sound great. They are made out of 16 ga. material. I have heard that Flowmaster's patent on the sound has expired now and there are more companies duplicating the sound for less cost. No monopoly now. Not sure how true that is but it's what I heard.

#7 ·
The Dynomax Super Turbo... I use the 17749...

I just went through a bunch of different exhaust systems with and without the H-pipe.. I ended up yanking the H-pipe because of too much drone and installing my old set of Dynomax Hemi Turbos...

I find that turn downs sound best.. Pencil tips enhance the mid and high tones..

#9 ·
302 Z28 said:
Take a look at Spin Tech. The fellow I am helping with his 69 Camaro just bought a complete system from them and it is first rate all around.

Vince
I love mine. I bought Spintech Super Prostreet mufflers 3" in 3" out. True dual exhaust out the back. Click on the pictures.

I used to have a single Mufflex 4" Flowmaster 30 series. I liked it but it was very raspy. Everyone seems to have Flowmasters anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.