Mufflers High Performance Quiet & Compact - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2011, 10:22 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Mufflers High Performance Quiet & Compact

I've got to quiet down the Camaro(late model F body). It has a Magnaflow cat-back type exhaust system currently and its just too loud and likely restrictive. Not to mention being cop bait. Space is extremely limited to go over the axle with a true dual system so I want to tuck a header back true dual system down the passenger side with the mufflers staggered with turn downs before the axle. I'm looking for fairly compact case 3" in, 3" out, QUIET mufflers. What modern mufflers have others used that really hushed up the noise? Nolan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2011, 11:08 AM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:

what size pipe and how long are the mufflers that you have now?
you could just change to longer mufflers or add a muffler with a tip, for yor exhaust tips if you have room
Old 12-20-2011, 11:32 AM

Last photo:

You might want to look at spintech; with perhaps a single chamber or 'bullet' resonator 'box'

I have an 87 T/A and I know when I put a high-flow cat converter back on the system, it evened out the exhaust tone to a great degree. If you don't have a Cat, and can chuck a used one in the midpipe as a test, it might help. If you're not using a cat, perhaps you could mock up a test piece with a single high flow bullet muffler to act as a resonator.

I liked my 3 chamber FlowMaster hat was on it when I bought it, and the Dynomax that I installed later. The dynomax was better quality and quieter; but had a resonance to it I didn't like until I put a cat converter back in the system
Old 12-21-2011, 08:05 AM

Last photo:

Mufflers

Matt, this is the '97 SS, uses a sideways muffler in the rear, one 3" inlet, two 3" outlets. With the torque arm and the 12 bolt rear end, panhard bar, etc. space is extremely limited to attempt true duals out the back. I'm having alot of clearance issues with the Magnaflow setup on launch and bumps. The noisy, raspy exhaust is too loud and pairing to 3" pipes from the Hooker super comp headers into a single 3" to one muffler is holding the engine back. The exhaust has to follow the passenger side because of the torque arm on the drivers side. I want to eliminate all the over axle and back and use a true dual system with turn downs before the rear end. But I want it quiet. This is an LT1 stroker with no less than 500hp at the crank. When I enter my head flow data and cam specs into Comp's program it says it makes 632hp@7000 and 539ft/lb torque @5000 with open headers! I think a pair of 3" pipes and mufflers are what it wants. I'm poking around for folks that have actually tried some of the newer muffler technologies. The way I figure it, if I go real big with the exhaust size, then the quiet muffler restriction won't tax the HP numbers too bad, thus allowing me to race it with mufflers and keep the db level down on the street.

AutoGear, Thanks for the tip on the Spintech mufflers, they look interesting and you can have them custom fabricated for a reasonable price.

Any personal experience from other members, with other brands is welcomed. Still looking. Nolan
Old 12-21-2011, 08:32 AM
I don't understand?

Last photo:

not the coolest, but high flow and compact ,long and skinny anyway
I know, not what you were looking for, but dont just rule them out
sometimes the easiest, is the best
Old 12-21-2011, 09:21 AM

Last photo:

ha ha

Ha Ha, That would sound evil, mean, wicked and Nasty. I always wanted to do a header system thru dual glasspacks all the way out the back on something. Knew a guy with a header/scavenger type system on a 383 Charger. It was so loud you could hear him coming about 2 miles away. He couldn't lose the cops cause all they had to do was stop and listen for him.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:24 AM
I don't understand?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLNOLAN
Ha Ha, That would sound evil, mean, wicked and Nasty. I always wanted to do a header system thru dual glasspacks all the way out the back on something. Knew a guy with a header/scavenger type system on a 383 Charger. It was so loud you could hear him coming about 2 miles away. He couldn't lose the cops cause all they had to do was stop and listen for him.
I would bet they are not as loud as you think, since they are almost 3 feet long
Old 12-21-2011, 09:35 AM

Last photo:

ha ha

Funny story... I had a old Triumph (car) when I was in high school. Had a single glasspack, it sounded like a supersized bee, when you downshifted and let off the gas it would rap off for blocks. A city policeman stopped in where I worked after school with a deal for me. If you stop waking me up with your exhaust noise when you pass my house, I won't give you a ticket for it. Please push the clutch in and glide pass my house then we won't have a problem. Yes Sir, officer.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:00 AM

Last photo:

My dad has had the same 30" cherrybombz under his 55 chevy with mild 327 for 6 or 7 years now. Everyone asks him where he got the great sounding pipes. No H pipe, and turn downs pointed outward (pointing them straight down added some weird vibrations -even for glasspacks) It does have an odd drone at 45mph in 4th (direct drive) though.

Theres a few guys with well done duals on the third gen boards, but they're not usually pushing the kind of power you are. There a couple sewerpipe sized singles out there too.

What about late 60s louvered or chambered pipes like the Z/28s? LOL
Old 12-22-2011, 07:42 AM

Last photo:

Dynomax

I wonder what this would sound like, it doesn't appear to cause much restriction and fits the compact requirement;
http://www.dynomax.com/mufflers.php?muffler=ultraflox
Old 12-22-2011, 11:50 AM

Last photo:

seen em in Jegs; no idea on how they sound? I would search youtube and see if someone made a clip.

A lot of the 3rd genners use the GMMG kit ( http://www.gmmginc.net/Exhaust/index.php )
And theres also 'Power Sticks'
http://www.torquetechexh.com/powersticks.htm

Literally no idea on how quiet they will be.

Someone maybe CherryBomb themselves, makes a polished ring to install in the end of a glasspack to use a small cherrybomb as a resonator tip and have it look nicey-nice

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.