Hot Rod Forum banner

Multi Function Welders

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  yknot 
#1 ·
I am in the market for a new welder. My 25 year old Craftsman stick welder is so-so and my little 115 volt Snap-On is ok on thin sheet metal, but am interested in going bigger and stronger as well as more versatile. The Lincoln Power Mig 350MP , modelK2403-1 looks interesting. The advertise Lincoln Chopper Technology, Mig, flux core, Stick and Tig all in one machine at $3662.00. Has any one had any experience with this machine? My biggest concern that is is much like many multi-functioned pieces of equipment: does a lot, but not really good at any thing. Let me hear from you experienced welders!!

Trees

#2 ·
Trees, that machine's TIG capabilities are limited to touch start only because it does not have high frequency, so no aluminum tig welding. I don't have any personal experience with that particular machine, but we have a smaller lincoln machine at home and it has yet to give us any trouble. As far as "all in one machines" it's pretty common in professional welding shops to have "welding power sources" that can do stick, TIG (sometimes high frequency equipped", Wire feed (with the addition of a feeder) and sometimes even sub-arc. So they do work pretty well and have their place, but it all depends on what you are looking to do.

#3 ·
I'm a welding instructor and have three of the 350MP machines. They are great machines. It is true that there is no aluminum TIG, but I run a Cobramatic aluminum MIG on it all the time. The unit is upgradeable via the web. It upgrades the pre-sets for just about any situation. It really does a great job with MIG and stick and does a nice job with everything else. If you want it all and like Lincoln, look at a PrecisionTIG for the TIG and stick and add a MIG on top. It will be the best of all worlds. My 2 cents.

#4 ·
While I am a very big fan of Lincoln welders, I don't like the multi-function welders of any brand. I like to buy a very nice welder that does one thing and does it very well. While I have had several Lincoln welders, I currently own a SP-55 Lincoln MIG Welder that I use constantly and it has never let me down, and I have the newer Tig-Pac 275 water cooled TIG unit. Both are great welders, and I don't even want to hear about some cheaper crap, you do get what you pay for with welders and most everything else in life.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.