Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Multi-section driveshaft
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2006, 03:02 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by farna
You'll need an IRS to mount the transfer case at the back, but that's not a big problem. Instead of having so many u-joints for a minimum of room saved, angle the driveshaft from the t-case to where it needs to come from under the floor. Then put in a carrier bearing and another u-joint to swing it where it needs to go.
That's sort of where I'm currently leaning. IRS was where I wanted to go anyhow. I just wasn't sure if you could have a driveshaft that was always at an angle. Looks like its doable, although it might require a double cardon u-joint. No biggie there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by farna
I have to admit, passenger side transfer case would be a LOT easier. Not because of room under the floor, but because the exhaust and steering gear is on the left side too.
I don't think this would be a problem. Can't speak to the standard 4x4 cases, but for AWD it appears that the case can be pretty easily "clocked" as long as the input and output shafts are mostly side-by-side (to keep oil on both halves of the mechanism). The two shaft assemblies are belt connected - nothing's really in between, and on the FT AWD boxes, there is no real mechanism to worry about. Any planetary gears are surrounding the shaft which doesn't care which side is up. Flipping the case shouldn't be a problem. The only issue would be if the oil fill hole isn't far enough down to work as a drain, but that's easily addresed.

The car I have in mind as my first choice is going to probably weigh around 4000 lbs.

The Syclone/Typhoon weighed in at 3600 and 3800 respectively. They were both running 360 ft-lbs of torque out of the turbo'd V6. So, I think if I don't power it with anything too radical, the 4472 transfer case should hold up OK. I'm thinking around 400 ft-lbs max should be doable for a driver. That's mild smallblock torque territory, which should be reasonably fun.