Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Transmission - Rearend (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/transmission-rearend/)
-   -   muncie 318 3 speed w/o overdrive questions (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/muncie-318-3-speed-w-o-overdrive-questions-230990.html)

drummerjoe56 03-20-2013 08:55 PM

muncie 318 3 speed w/o overdrive questions

I have what is to the best of my knowledge a muncie 318 3 speed w/o overdrive in my 56 chevy 210. I was wondering how tough these little guys are and if theres a way to mount a floor shifter on it, any help is greatly appreciated and needed:D

RWENUTS 03-20-2013 09:12 PM

Tough and muncie 318 don't belong in the same sentence. Back in the day (mid sixties) anyone with one of them carried a spare tranny in the trunk. Thankfully only a 45 minute swap in a parking lot somewhere.
Hurst makes a 3 speed Mystery shifter for them. Or there are some gm shifters also available. Search for 3 speed shifter on ebay.
And Welcome to the forum!!

drummerjoe56 03-20-2013 09:29 PM

ok awesome, i kinda figured that was the case after some of what i read, n thanks man, feels good to be back in the hod rod world lol

junior stocker 03-23-2013 12:10 PM

Technically, it's a 319 trans with the OD unit attached. And they are weak as already noted. Hurst USED TO make a shifter for them, no more, and finding a used one is difficult; everyone is looking for them. You could probably adapt a shifter if you have any fab skills; it's the position of the solenoid that complicates everything. You might want to think about using the retooled MOPAR 833-A 4-speed used in some Chev/GMC trucks; that trans was redone to make 4rth gear overdrive, and Hurst does make a shifter for them. Butch/junior stocker.

junior stocker 03-23-2013 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by junior stocker (Post 1659645)
Technically, it's a 319 trans with the OD unit attached. And they are weak as already noted. Hurst USED TO make a shifter for them, no more, and finding a used one is difficult; everyone is looking for them. You could probably adapt a shifter if you have any fab skills; it's the position of the solenoid that complicates everything. You might want to think about using the retooled MOPAR 833-A 4-speed used in some Chev/GMC trucks; that trans was redone to make 4rth gear overdrive, and Hurst does make a shifter for them. Butch/junior stocker.

You might want to try contacting "Little Wing" over on JalopyJournal.Com/the HAMB. She deals in a lot of discontinued and used Hurst items; she may have the mount needed for a Hurst shifter on the 319 OD trans. Butch/junior stocker.

AutoGear 03-25-2013 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by junior stocker (Post 1659645)
You might want to think about using the retooled MOPAR 833-A 4-speed used in some Chev/GMC trucks; that trans was redone to make 4rth gear overdrive, and Hurst does make a shifter for them. Butch/junior stocker.

Technically the 3rd gear position inside the gearbox is overdrive; and the shifter selector is reversed for 3rd and 4th. You still shift the standard H-pattern, butthe trans is shifting 1-2-4-3. This is necessary because 4th gear in a conventional 4speed is direct drive; what you get is 1st, 2nd, direct drive, overdrive.
Also; the factory shifter on a New Process 833OD was made by Hurst. If you can make it fit in your car, its a great shifter.

drummerjoe56 03-26-2013 05:13 PM

Thanks for all the input everybody, I got a 400 turbo in the back of the shop that I might put behind it, but Id still kinda like a gear grabbin 4 speed lol :D