Muncie 318 to Saginaw 3 speed - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2012, 03:39 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Muncie 318 to Saginaw 3 speed

I have '55 Chevy truck and she's stone stock. The Muncie 319 is shot! What kind of change to install "70 Chevy truck tranny? I have the bell housing, flywheel, trans and clutch. I don't have a lot of space and I'm 65! I want to keep the three on the tree. The truck had a 250 six in it. It looks like everything is the same but you know how that goes!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2012, 04:21 PM

It can be done with minimal mods really the only thing that will give you a problem is the cross member "if it has not already been converted" other than that the "tree" linkages will have to be moded or changed to adjustable ones other than that it is pretty much a bolt in swap
The Following User Says Thank You to Ripper 410 For This Useful Post:
jetblast (08-05-2012)
Old 08-04-2012, 05:32 PM

Last photo:

The shifter arms will need much more work than Ripper suggests. The shifter towers on the newer tranny are bolt on style arms that are close to the tranny cover. The older tranny's shift towers stick out about 3-4 inches and take a clamp on type bracket. You'll need to bend and possible lengthen them to reach.
Might be easier to put in a floor shifter.
The Following User Says Thank You to RWENUTS For This Useful Post:
jetblast (08-05-2012)
Old 08-05-2012, 08:14 AM

Shift Arms

I have both trannies on the floor next to each other. They look the same as far as bolting onto the bell housing! Ouch, the shift arms are not the same. Also, front and rear splines are different. That is easy to fix. I can use the clutch from the 70 truck and replace the front snout on drive shaft. So now I butcher the floor pan of the truck and install floor shift or find good Muncie 318! I've been looking for a new trans and can't find parts! Bearings and gaskets are no problem but synchros and gear parts are no where to be found. Even the major trans shops and e-bay are no cigar. I want to thank Ripper and RWENUTS for your input! Went to ADRL Dragfest at Charolette yesterday and it was bad ***! Never seen it gotta go! Bad *** as it gets for 1/8 mile!!!
Old 08-05-2012, 08:28 AM

Last photo:

THe old muncie was quite weak. I have a buddy who always carried a spare tranny in the trunk for the inevitable tranny explosion in his 57 chevy. Only an hour to swap out.
Here's a link some possible parts. Talk to them. They might have other sources too for parts.

Garage
jetblast (08-05-2012)
Old 08-05-2012, 02:58 PM

Shift Arms

Thanks guys for all of the input! The trannie is installed and I will call the guys RWENUTS mentioned. I'm a retired tool and die maker and I will get this working on the tree. My 55 is really solid and very original and I would hate to cut a hole for the shifter!
Old 08-05-2012, 04:55 PM

Last photo:

IIRC you could use the shifter arms from a 69-72 chevy truck or like year gmc. Pre-68 used the muncie like you had so won't help.
jetblast (08-06-2012)
Old 08-06-2012, 03:40 PM

Shift Arms

I will try to find a set of those shift arms. The guy I bought the trannie from might have them. He put a 350 with 350 trans in his 70 truck and pulled the 6 and 3 speed out. You guys have been so helpful! Too bad you didn't live closer. I always have a case of Pacifico in the garage fridge! God damn it's hot and humid here and it's ready to storm again!!!
Old 08-06-2012, 04:40 PM

Last photo:

Keep that brewski cold. I'll jump in the company jet and be right over. LOL!!!
Maybe you should move to the nw coast. A cool 70* F today. It was a blistering 85* yesyerday.
If you get stuck on your linkage search just check back. We'll find you some.
jetblast (08-06-2012)
Old 08-06-2012, 06:29 PM

Shift Arms

We will retire to our home in San Diego in 2015! We spent 15 years in Pittsburgh and now 10 in Durham. I'll keep your offer in mind for the shifter arms! The brewski is always cold!!! I sent attachment of my truck when I first found her. She sat in a barn in South Carolina for 25 years! The water dripped on the right front fender and ate threw it! Other than that and some minor rust it's good. I put oil water and air in the shot tires and drove her 100 miles with no problem! I drive her every where and I get a lot of compliments. I have one question RWENUTS? Hell ya!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	'55 Chevy 1st Trip.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	518.2 KB
ID:	67227  
Old 08-06-2012, 07:19 PM

Last photo:

Only a few years to go till you hit the coast. Time will fly by!!
I've been retired 4 years. Luv it! Will be 61 next month. Spent 35 years working the oil fields in western Canada. I built a 56 chevy truck back 20 years ago. It's still running around northern BC with a blown bigblock.
RWENUTS!!
We all are!!
My handle comes from a purchase we made in 2006. I was 55, the wife 45. Bought a Torred limited edition 2006 Dodge Charger Daytona R/T. Hemi and fast. Easy 130-140 mph.
When we bought it the wife said Are We nuts!! It stuck. Even got a personallized plate. Still have the plate. Sold car last year. Still miss it.
Here's a pic of my other previous trucks. A 67 Gmc. The 99th one built and a 65 c10. Both sold for my new project. Pic included. 26 T modified.
Good luck with your search.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front both.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	67228   Click image for larger version

Name:	rolling 002.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	67229  
jetblast (08-07-2012)
Old 08-08-2012, 03:25 PM

Trans Swap

Looks like some cool projects! I've always stuck with the older Chevy trucks. I bought a 51 5 window with 37k miles and I wish I never got rid of it. I worked for Lenco Trans in early 70's and put together a 2 speed from scrap parts. I converted the closed drive to open drive and installed M20 Muncie 4 speed with the Lenco. It was as good as it gets.
I have the trannie in the truck but the drive shaft yoke is way different! I'm sure there must be standard yoke that will work. The old one is 16 spline and this one is maybe 27. It's raining and lightning and thunder like the devil! You have to be scared to go out of house ans we're under tornado watch!
Old 08-08-2012, 04:52 PM

Last photo:

Yup I hear you. Woulda! Shoulda! Coulda! kept some of that old iron. Like my 67 Hemi GTX and the 70 LS6 Chevelle. But the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.
Hope your weather gets better for you. Take care!!
jetblast (08-08-2012)
Old 08-20-2012, 05:25 PM

Trans swap

Here's the real story on the swap! Remove old 318 Muncie. I used a 1970 Chevy truck trans a Saginaw 3 speed. You will need to remove the front bearing retainer and machine it to fit the bellhousing (4.680). Also, remove the 2-3 shift lever from the trans. You will need to machine the slot for the shiftere arm straight up and down. Lay it out and use a dremel tool with carbide bit. Be careful and fit it until it just goes on! You want it facing up or 2nd and 3rd will be reversed. You can now install the trans. You will need to replace front driveshaft slip joint with the standard 27 spline Chevy slip joint. Hook up driveshaft and fill trans. Now comes the fun! You will need to cut 1st-reverse shift rod. Take a 3/8-16NC die and cut threads on both sides of shift rod. Cut it down by the trans. Go to Lowes and purchase hex with 3/8 thread inside. You'll need 2 for 1st-reverse and 1 for 2-3 rod. The 1st-reverse is easiest to set. The 2-3 is tricky because there isn't much movement because of the bell crank. I wanted to keep column shift. A floor shift would be way easier. The Mr. Gasket kit is easy and cheap. I'm old tool and die maker and it was easy. The trannie is great and it looks stock and that was my goal!
Old 08-20-2012, 05:52 PM

Last photo:

Good to hear you got it going.
Remember now!
No speedshifting!!!
jetblast (08-27-2012)

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.