Old 03-11-2012, 06:43 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapz
Thanks for the input. This motor kinda fell in my lap, looks like it could be fun, BUT I'm on Uncle Sams dime and not a lot of extra coin. Trying to use what I have until whatever weak link breaks, then fix as you go. It would be nice to build a car 100% right out of the box but time and funds are a restricting factor. Just getting that monster running in my garage IN THE CAR gives me wood thinking about it. This has never been together before. I don't know if I've posted this but I picked up a '41 Chevy car frame that has a mustng IFS in it already and the frame is square. The stock truck frame is a "C" channel would have needed something (IFS, clip, whatever and the frame boxed). This saved a lot of work and I'm going to cage it and add reinforcenment. Needs all new wiring, and interior, and, and, and, MONEY. I can only go from there. A 4 link, roll cage, Tremec, ford 9 inch are like sugar plums dancing in my head.
Until AutoGear gets the chance to fill you in on the ins and outs of a beefed Muncie and info on them, etc. let me just say that the Muncie will last. Until it hooks good, that is.

The point is, you can certainly use a stock Muncie M20/21/22 to get the vehicle up and running. While the straighter cut gears of the close ratio M22 are stronger than the wide ratio M20 or the close ratio M21, w/a blower motor you don't need a close ratio box to keep the engine in the power band- you'll have a wide-as-the-Mississippi powerband as it is, and to use a close ratio box necessitates a lower (higher numerically) rear gear so there's not excessive clutch slippage in first to get underway. The lower rear gear ratio also means a faster driveshaft RPM and more engine RPM at any given cruise speed on the highway, and that gets old fast.

That leaves you needing an aftermarket wide ratio gear set and the other goodies that are available to beef up the Muncie, or an OD manual. It's up to you to determine which way to go, but like I said, for now you can use the stock box if you take it real easy on it.

As for the TH400, it can be made to handle a lot of HP, so can the TH350 and Powerglide for that matter. But if you have your heart set on a manual...