muncie 4 speed trans setup - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2005, 03:58 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

muncie 4 speed trans setup

Is anybody out there?
Could any one tell me how to set up a muncie 4 speed?
I have a 55 chey with a 4 speed muncie trans. Drove it the other day, 1 shifter bolt was loose and now 3rd gear position is where 4th should be and 4th is up where 3rd was! I want to take the linkage loose and set it up correctly...
is this how? = put in neutral, make diagram of settings, loosen / remove ends that have carter key and disconnect the linkage ends. put a nail in a hole thats supposed to line up the shifter linkage ?, thread in/out each rod to where each rod exactly fits the linkage and re-attach.
Will this do it?
Many thanks...why did 3rd and 4th flip ?
Thanks, Gordon

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2005, 04:58 PM
Left Nut, Right Nut....Squish!

Last photo:

yea that description sounds like how i adjust mine...in neutral the slots lines up so the stick isnt catching...switch the rods...Or you might have the lever on the tranny upside down..If you undo the bolt and flip just the lever itself 180 it should reverse the pattern for those 2 gears it controls..
when i got my elcamino (3speed) the guy had the levers upside down...1st was up and left 2nd was down and right and 3rd was up and right...i turned the levers 180 and it reversed the pattern to the way it should be...1st down n left, 2nd up n right 3rd down...
Id say you need to flip the lever upside down, if you switched the rods your 3rd-4th would be where your 1st-2nd is right now... (mine is a saganaw, not a muncie, but it should be the same principle)

hope that helps some...
Old 07-21-2005, 06:31 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: PICTURE TEST
Last photo:

muncie

Both of the arms for 1/2 and 3/4 should be up... There is a hole in the shifter body to stick a pin in that aligns the shifter to neutral. Then fit each rod till it just slides into place...

Go out run it up to 6500 rpm drop the clutch and yank um!!!!!! Just kidding about the last part, it's just how i test it out.....

keith
Old 07-21-2005, 07:16 PM

Muncie shifter

Hey ...is this web site something or what?
Thanks guys, I'll turn the 3rd / 4th lever around.
1 more "safe" type question though before I do...the 3rd and 4th were in the correct position and ok until just the other day...how did they get backwards? Did my ragged shifting (loose shifter) actually flip the lever 180 degrees?
Also, forgot to mention, when in reverse and wanting to go to 1st gear I have to tap the 1st / 2nd rod just barely and it goes out of reverse to neutral...it did not do this until just the other day...will flipping the 3rd / 4th lever and adjusting as you say fix this?
Maybe too many questions but I sure appreciate your knowledge and help.
Thanks,
Gordon
Old 07-22-2005, 01:34 AM

Last photo:

The shift arms are supposed to go up from the shifter shaft on a floor-shift application, down on a column-shift. Yours probably fell to a downward position when the bolt got loose, which will make 3rd & 4th gear positions backwards if you tighten it that way.

The problem with the reverse lever may be from interference from the 3-4 rod being at the wrong angle.
Old 07-02-2006, 10:22 PM

Last photo:

shifters

hey just read up on this thread. so i`d go ahead and say it. just about 10 mins ago i got done resetting and aligning mineone was upside down and none of the arms were lined up. i kinda noticed something was fishy when i was in the donor car testing it out, didn`t want to get into reverse unless i pulled over and down on the stick. So i pulled it out today all day, the bellhousing top bolt caught the body so i had a heck of a time let me tell yall.well yes what they have said is true your shifter arms are supposed to be lined up, in some cases you may have enough play with the set screws . to position your shifter forward if you sit there long enough tweaking and tuning the shifter levers. well this week i`ll be getting the clutch pack, to be able to intall it in my truck. so wish me luck with the yanking well not that much.. LOL

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.