Muncie, Drops out of 3rd. gear - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2007, 01:31 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Muncie, Drops out of 3rd. gear

I have a M-20 Muncie Transmission that won't stay in 3rd. gear when you take your foot off of the gas. Everything else is OK.
I rebuilt the tranny last year, with a rebuild kit, and also replaced 2nd. & 3rd. gear, along with both Clutch sliders. I also replaced both shift forks. I did nit have this problem prior to rebuilding it.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be wrong?

Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2007, 01:40 PM

Last photo:

Third gear is bad or the slider for the 3-4 shift. Probably both.
Too many missed gears going for third.
Bob
Old 02-08-2007, 02:08 PM
Last photo:

Likely cause is that the 3-4 slider gear is rounded off, the 3rd gear engagement cogs are rounded off, or both. Slim chance your shifter is out of adjustment. Make sure it is going all the way into third.

Vnce
Old 02-09-2007, 07:19 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: PICTURE TEST
Last photo:

muncie

Your stops need set on the shifter...

Since you replaced the sliders,sincros,and 3 gear.. There really isn't many other options...

Is it a compitition style shifter??? Or a factory shifter???

Keith
Old 02-10-2007, 07:57 PM

It is a compitition shifter
Old 02-10-2007, 09:58 PM

Last photo:

Whatever you do, don't try to hold it in 3rd (or any other gear) by forcing the shifter. That will surely screw it up even worse.

Look on the front and rear of the shifter body. On each end, there should be a bolt that looks like it's not holding anything, and a jam nut holding that bolt tight. That's the shifter stop adjuster bolt. It keeps you from putting too much pressure on the fork/slider junction when shifting hard. If it's adjusted too tight, it won't let let the slider move all the way into engagement, and that will cause it to slip out of gear.

The front one has a loose jam nut, and the back one has no jam nut. Asking for trouble, for sure.

Last edited by jimfulco; 02-10-2007 at 10:06 PM.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:31 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

shifter

Jim, Thats a perfect picture.....

tlauerjr, Looking at the above picture... You will need to back off both the stop bolts. First remove the shifter boot, console, etc..Anything that needs to go to gain access to the bolts.

Then loosen the jam nuts and back the bolts off...

Put the shifter in 1st gear, turn the bolt until it contacts the shifter arm and snug the jam nut..This is the stop for 1st and 3rd.

Then repete for 2nd gear... This is the stop for 2nd and 4th.

Take the car for a ride and see how it shifts... You may neeed to fine tune ( more stop or less stop) in 1 turn increments to really dial it in...

Keith
Old 02-13-2007, 09:17 PM

Last photo:

If my memory serves me correctly, the front stop bolt is for 2nd & 4th gears, and the rear is for 1st & 3rd. But I have not messed with one since ~1972, so somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:05 PM

Thanks for everbodies suggestions. I am going to put a new slider in and adjust the stops. It will be awhile before I put it back in, as I have some more things I need to get done to the car first.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:37 PM

Last photo:

Check the sides of the shift fork where it rides in the slider's outer groove. If the fork is worn, replace it, too.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:49 PM

Last photo:

I've got the same problem. New gear/slider/fork. When shifting, it sometimes has that...click- click where the synchros are lining up and it drops in. Other times, it does the click....and does not seem to fully engage, and then hops out on decel. If the stops were set wrong, it wouldn't be intermittent. Have been told it was a sloppy midplate, allowing the whole cluster to shift back and forth. Just an idea.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:44 PM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfulco
Check the sides of the shift fork where it rides in the slider's outer groove. If the fork is worn, replace it, too.
Correct, this can be a souce of a lot of problems. It also pays to blueprint the side cover.

Vince
Old 02-14-2007, 11:07 PM

Trany coming out of gear

I had a similar problem on a '56 Chevy step-side pickup that had a 409 with the truck 4 speed. Bought it off a used car lot for only $260 about 30 years ago. It needed a lot of TLC. Jumping out of gear was one of the problems. I took the top off the trany for inspection. Gears and synchros appeared new. I then took the trany out and to the machine shop I was using at the time and asked them to just do an inspection, no work, and give be a bid. When I came back the machinist said the gears and synchros were new but all the bearings were worn out and he had replaced them. I was not happy with him for replacing the bearings without permission. I begrudgily paid the bill of $50 for parts and repair. I reinstalled the trany and it worked perfect. The bearings were so worn it allowed internal vibration which led it to popping out of gear.

Let us know what you find.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:13 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT74
I've got the same problem. New gear/slider/fork. When shifting, it sometimes has that...click- click where the synchros are lining up and it drops in. Other times, it does the click....and does not seem to fully engage, and then hops out on decel. If the stops were set wrong, it wouldn't be intermittent. Have been told it was a sloppy midplate, allowing the whole cluster to shift back and forth. Just an idea.
The only way this can happen is if there is a missing snap ring... There is no such thing as a sloppy mid plate allowing the main shaft to move...It's stabilized between the main case and the tail housing with 6 bolts.

I have seen dozens of muncies with miss-adjusted stops that work fine on one gear change and jump out or grind on the next...

I am not sure i understand why everyone wants to start throwning parts at a transmission that may only need a simple shifter adjustmnet??????

Keith

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.