Muncie hurst shifter will not go in reverse - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2011, 09:50 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Muncie hurst shifter will not go in reverse

I can't get my Hurst shifter to shift my muncie into reverse. I have tried adjusting the linkage using the 1/4" drill bit method with no luck. I can shift the transmission into reverse if I get under the car and manually do it, but the shifter will not budge left and up. It will shift 1 through 4 with no problem. I disconnected the reverse linkage from the shifter (leaving the 1-4 linkage attached) and that wouldn't allow me to shift the lever into reverse either. I can't tell if the shifter isn't able to go left enough or if it is bound up when I try to push it up after I push it left. This shifter has been this way since I bought the car a few weeks ago. What should I look for?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2011, 10:06 PM
More for Less Racer

Is the linkage arm on the trans withthe correct orientation?? reverse lever should point down from the bolt that holds it to the trans.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:56 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

I pulled a very hard shift in my '65 GTO once, it was brand new, and it rotated the shifter brcket to the rear just enough to cause shifting issues.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:17 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnova72
Is the linkage arm on the trans withthe correct orientation?? reverse lever should point down from the bolt that holds it to the trans.
The linkage was in the bottom hole and I moved it to the top hole after reading another online post, but that didn't solve my problem. I'll take another look.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:18 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68NovaSS
I pulled a very hard shift in my '65 GTO once, it was brand new, and it rotated the shifter brcket to the rear just enough to cause shifting issues.
Are you referring to the shifter bracket that mounts directly to the transmission or a bracket within the guts of the shifter?
Old 01-03-2011, 07:37 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmandirt
I can't get my Hurst shifter to shift my muncie into reverse. I have tried adjusting the linkage using the 1/4" drill bit method with no luck. I can shift the transmission into reverse if I get under the car and manually do it, but the shifter will not budge left and up. It will shift 1 through 4 with no problem. I disconnected the reverse linkage from the shifter (leaving the 1-4 linkage attached) and that wouldn't allow me to shift the lever into reverse either. I can't tell if the shifter isn't able to go left enough or if it is bound up when I try to push it up after I push it left. This shifter has been this way since I bought the car a few weeks ago. What should I look for?
Worn bushings will play havoc on easily getting reverse.

You should be able to feel the rather strong spring pressure that pushes the lever back towards neutral. If you're not feeling that, the alignment isn't correct.

The alignment can be done w/a 1/4" bit and still (w/worn bushings) be problems w/getting reverse.

A similar problem and resolution- http://www.camaros.net/forums/archiv.../t-166212.html
Old 01-03-2011, 08:15 AM

Last photo:

I advise all my customers to buy a 'Hurst Pit Pack' (bushings and spring clips) and to usually opt for the HPP with the steel parts instead of the nylon.

Since most of my customers will be doing an R&R with the trans and removing the shifter, it only saves aggravation later.

Also, it seems since Hurst has changed hands 47 times or whatever, their stampings and castings have degraded substantially. One of my customers has a page on his site dedicated to this problem. Brand new shifters so out of whack that the linkage rods run into each other.

Heres a link to the page on his site:
http://5speeds.com/shifter.html

HTH and YMMV

Nate
Old 01-03-2011, 08:20 AM
WFO

Last photo:

Hey Nate (or anyone else)-

Who sells the OEM-type Hurst shift levers that 'snap' in place instead of bolt on?

Actually, all I really need is a broken lever- just the part that enters the shifter, plus a couple inches- so I can graft on the stick shape I need for a wagon bench seat.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:27 AM

Last photo:

Cobalt,

are you referring to the little shift levers that push into the sidecover, that are pre-1969 or thereabouts? These "stud mount" shifter shafts were a poor design. We make a replacement that is the same dimensionally, but uses the bolt on design.

No one makes the ones with the stud on them as far as I know; so you'll have to source a NOS set.

I hope this is what you were looking for LOL, If not, my apologies.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:40 AM
Last photo:

Is your Hurst shifter new or used? Sounds as if it's used and you have some wear issues to deal with.

Vince
Old 01-03-2011, 09:51 AM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoGear
Cobalt,

are you referring to the little shift levers that push into the sidecover, that are pre-1969 or thereabouts? These "stud mount" shifter shafts were a poor design. We make a replacement that is the same dimensionally, but uses the bolt on design.

No one makes the ones with the stud on them as far as I know; so you'll have to source a NOS set.

I hope this is what you were looking for LOL, If not, my apologies.
This doesn't have a stud, it attaches much like the headrests of about the same era, you remove it by inserting a taped over hacksaw blade between the shift lever and the spring-loaded pins that secure it.

PM sent.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:11 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28
Is your Hurst shifter new or used? Sounds as if it's used and you have some wear issues to deal with.

Vince

The shifter appears to be used. The linkage from the shifter to the transmission and the nylon bushings appear to be new. Do these shifters have a common area where they wear out? I have never torn one apart.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:16 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoGear
I advise all my customers to buy a 'Hurst Pit Pack' (bushings and spring clips) and to usually opt for the HPP with the steel parts instead of the nylon.

Since most of my customers will be doing an R&R with the trans and removing the shifter, it only saves aggravation later.

Also, it seems since Hurst has changed hands 47 times or whatever, their stampings and castings have degraded substantially. One of my customers has a page on his site dedicated to this problem. Brand new shifters so out of whack that the linkage rods run into each other.

Heres a link to the page on his site:
http://5speeds.com/shifter.html

HTH and YMMV

Nate

I'm not sure which rods they were without looking again, but I noticed that two of the rods are touching depending on which gear I was in. I believe they were the 1-4 rods, but it could have very well been the reverse rod. I thought to me self, "that's odd they are bent that way." Thanks for the link, I will check it out later when I get home.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:28 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
Worn bushings will play havoc on easily getting reverse.

You should be able to feel the rather strong spring pressure that pushes the lever back towards neutral. If you're not feeling that, the alignment isn't correct.

The alignment can be done w/a 1/4" bit and still (w/worn bushings) be problems w/getting reverse.

A similar problem and resolution- http://www.camaros.net/forums/archiv.../t-166212.html
Thanks, I'll start by inspecting all of the bushings and I'll try the 1/4" pin alignment again. That seemed to solve the problem in that forum.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:06 PM
Last photo:

As mentioned when the 1/4" pin or drill bit is inserted you should be able to move the shifter all the way over to your left and feel the spring tension for the reverse lever.

Vince

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.