Muncie M21 leaks - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2006, 02:11 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Muncie M21 leaks

Thanks,machine shops are having a rough go of it,some in this area are closing,a good deal on a mill may come along. Thanks again for your input! Dana

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2006, 01:18 AM

Last photo:

Hey K-star, maybe the bulk of the 7/8 (early) boxes you see came out of light pre 66 small block cars and the 1 inch shaft ones are mostly out of BB Chevelles, Goats etc. Here Muncies were rare and whilst there was 1 known ZL1 4SPD Camaro to come here new most muncies arrived in small block cars destined for circuit racing. The only local car to have a factory muncie (called an m22 by Holden but actually a late fine spline m20) was the 1971/74 Holden Monaro GTS350 - 3400lb/275hp 350.
If a case has elongated holes here it gets bored and bushed.
Briscoe, keep that lathe tool away from a case hardened shaft. you'll create a stress riser and break it assuming you were smart enough to wear safety goggles and still have eyes to assemble the 4 spd. The welsch plug sounds like a good idea - I always thought that 1/8 inch off the front of the shaft and a plug like an sbc cam plug would work.

My first muncie was a 10 spline stud and nut M22, then I ran a sucession of m20s which allowed me to remove my ear plugs.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:35 AM

Muncie M21 leaks

Hey Ian,thanks for the words of caution,sounds like you may have had a bad experince,in this area mate. Will heed your warning,what k-star is doing is a neat idea anyway. And by the way,glad to see you were smart enough to wear ear plugs.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:38 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: PICTURE TEST
Last photo:

muncie

Ian, I too have considered the approach of shorting the counter shaft and installing a flat plug in the case.. But i keep thinking that when you do it you will be removing more area of the shaft to case contact.... I know 1/8" is not alot but since it's a problem now making it less would only add to the issues..IMO...

I feel i would rather have a small leak then take strength away from the pin support....

Keith
Old 12-07-2006, 01:33 AM

Last photo:

How about 4 tapped holes with a flat plate cover, it would need a small dia drain back hole into the case - say 45 degrees at 6 o'clock.
Further, like crankshafts in some early engines you could cut a 5 thou coarse thread- an 'Archimede's screw' in the cluster shaft. Ok the shaft doesn't turn but the rollers should drive the oil rearward into the case. Ol' Arc was a switched on cat for an ancient Greek, his screw still lifts millions of tons of grain and water every year.
Dunno if you folks get world news but the bushfires are pretty bad here, lots of smoke - visibility down to a 1/4 mile at times.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.