muncie predicament - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2007, 07:47 PM
83 chevy c10 long bed

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

muncie predicament

so i had 2 saginaws, 1st one i beat and it blew up, 2nd one i daily drove for a week and it blew up first gear on cluster shaft(not even beating)

and now i am im a predicament about my muncie, i have an m20 wide ratio that needs a rebuild, its all apart, and it needs scincro locks, front and rear bearing, and reverse gears, i have the reverse gears but im debating on weather i should buy the M22 gear set for 575 and get my tranny probs out of the way, i have a 83 c10 longbed with a 420hp 350 with about 380ft/lb of torque, i wanna put it in this time and not have to be scared to open it up, or remove it after its lowered. my dad says the m20 should handle the power, but he also said the saginaw would last if i didnt beat it, and i didnt. any imput on what an m20 can handle?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2007, 09:34 PM

Last photo:

i noticed you are 17, are you sure you know how to drive a 4 speed, ive seen 17 yaer olds drive and they are rough on equipment, no insult intended, when i was in my teens i was rough on equipment. about the saginaw, it is a light duty trans not suited for a big pickup, it could live but even if you pound on it even a little bit it will break. saginaws were used when the 283 was the biggest engine you could get. saginaws were phased out in favor of muncies in the early 60s about the same time the 327 appeared. muncies have been used behind some of the highest hp cars ever produced. i had an auto equipped car in high school and since the every car ive had has been muncie equipped until i bought an auto vette for my DD. i still have muncie cars. ive worked on lots of muncies, usually bearing and seal replacements and once in a while synchros. ive only seen one or two muncies actually blown up and those were even attrbuted to bad bearings and not lack of strength. follow you dads advise, and why would you want to change gears- a wide ratio is just what a truck needs. close ratio gears were popular with road racers with light cars and nerrow power bands. muncies are easy to work on but you have to know your stuff so dont do it yourself. forget the gears a save your money, find a good tranny guy with muncie experience and have it overhauled, thats the best bang for your buck.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:28 PM
83 chevy c10 long bed

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by techron
i noticed you are 17, are you sure you know how to drive a 4 speed, ive seen 17 yaer olds drive and they are rough on equipment, no insult intended, when i was in my teens i was rough on equipment. about the saginaw, it is a light duty trans not suited for a big pickup, it could live but even if you pound on it even a little bit it will break. saginaws were used when the 283 was the biggest engine you could get. saginaws were phased out in favor of muncies in the early 60s about the same time the 327 appeared. muncies have been used behind some of the highest hp cars ever produced. i had an auto equipped car in high school and since the every car ive had has been muncie equipped until i bought an auto vette for my DD. i still have muncie cars. ive worked on lots of muncies, usually bearing and seal replacements and once in a while synchros. ive only seen one or two muncies actually blown up and those were even attrbuted to bad bearings and not lack of strength. follow you dads advise, and why would you want to change gears- a wide ratio is just what a truck needs. close ratio gears were popular with road racers with light cars and nerrow power bands. muncies are easy to work on but you have to know your stuff so dont do it yourself. forget the gears a save your money, find a good tranny guy with muncie experience and have it overhauled, thats the best bang for your buck.
thats all i needed to hear, thanks!

yes i know im 17 but im not the average 17 year old, i built my own engine without any help other then knocking pistons in, i did all the machining and whatnot with little help from my brother when indicating stuff for the vortec heads. and i converted it from an auto. its my dream truck coming true.

my dad has rebuilt 3 muncies, 1 in his 66 vette, 1 in my moms 69 camaro, and one for his buddy, so i beleive with his help i will be all set, so i will order up a rebuild kit from tb transmissions.

but tb sells a m22 gear set wide ratio, for an m20-21, wide ratio is exactly what i need and as we speak im doing rear end to fit it as well with posi.

one more thing, have you ever seen a muncie with a factory weld on the side of the case? discovered that i have one
Old 08-05-2007, 10:52 PM

Last photo:

well your dad sounds like the experienced muncie guy i referred to. on your trans no that weld is not factory, you didnt mention where the welding was but ill bet it was around one of the ears that bolt to the bellhousing, ive seen a lot of those over the years, caused by some moron trying to force the tranny into the bellhousing. have your dad look at the gears and dont replace them unless somthing is wrong. there is a saying " if it aint broke dont fix it" . if the welding on the tranny was done right it will be fine. tell your dad you got the answer from a guy with a 64 4speed coupe.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:05 AM
83 chevy c10 long bed

Last photo:

the weld is on the side of the tranny, we thought it was blown up or something, but the weld was perfect and peen (spelling) hammered flat, a guy that my dad works with said some muncies had a bad cast and were porus?

the only thing noticably wrong with it is the imput bearing is wasted, and particals floated around a littlebit, so do all new bearings, the cluster shaft is mint, and the scincro locs are worn, along with the guy decided to blow up reverse gear but i already have new gears for reverse
Old 08-06-2007, 10:33 AM

Last photo:

input bearings on the mainshaft are the most common things to go wrong on these trannys, overhaul it and replace all the bearings.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.