Muncie rebuild - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2003, 03:09 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Muncie rebuild

I have a Muncie M20 in my 65 vette that I'm taking out to have rebuilt. The gears I think are fine. Just need new synchros and other overhaul rebiulding kit parts.
Does anyone know a reliable place that is also reasonable that rebuilds Muncies.
Thanks, Mark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2003, 07:38 PM

Last photo:

You mite want to consider re-building that transmission yourself. Ecklers.com offers a video on rebuilding the muncie transmission. The basic rebuild kit consists of bearings, syncronizers, and gaskets for about $175.00. You will need a press and snap ring pliers. You can get a 12 ton press for about $100.00 from Harbor Freight, which is good for a lot of stuff. ( U joints, transmissions, bending metal etc.)

If you don't want to do it yourself any transmission repair place can do it. I would go to bbb.com to check out the business first, and expect to pay between $300 and $600 depending on what the transmission needs.
Old 01-30-2003, 05:51 AM

Thanks for your help. I did buy the video a few weeks ago and quite frankly it doesn't look that hard but I think with my limited auto knowledge I'd be better off paying a few hundred and having it done by someone that knows what he's doing. But the bbb.com idea is a good one. I did find a local shop that would do it for $200-250 plus parts. I'll check them out on BBB. Thanks again for your help, Mark
Old 03-03-2003, 04:56 PM

I am going thru an M20 rebuild as we speak. I just ordered my parts from 5speeds.com. They were a little cheaper than most on the rebuild kit. If your trans is like most, you'll probably need a reverse gear an idler(people can be so rude to reverse). I have 2 M20's apart in my workshop and they both have the same problems. It will more than likely cost you big bucks to have a shop do your work. If your interested, buy the rebuild kit, send me the trans, and i'll do a pro job fir $200.

[ March 03, 2003: Message edited by: 68vettehead ]</p>
Old 03-04-2003, 06:47 PM
Member# 3287

Last journal entry: Vortec Heads
Last photo:

I rebuilt my M-20 just using the schematics in the Chevy overhaul manual. Just watch out for the loose needle bearings. As I remember there were something like 126 of them. Just take your time. You'll also probably need an extra set of hands for reassembly.
Old 03-05-2003, 05:10 AM

Thanks guys. I already decided two weeks ago to send it to a local tranny shop that someone local recommended. Now I'm crossing my fingers.
Old 01-22-2004, 04:40 PM
I smell Clutch!

Last photo:

There is a 4 speed m 20 in my truck. You have to hold it into 3rd when you give it gas(it wants to push it out). I was wondering if anyone has had this problem and,or knows what needs to be fixed and how hard it would be. Think it would be less of a headache if I got one from a wrecker??
I belive it is from shifting from 4th into 3rd at to high of a rpm, I dont know for sure it was like that when i got it.

Thanks, Ortie
Old 01-22-2004, 06:19 PM

Last photo:

you might want to try Street-Wise performance, Box 105 Creek Rd.Tranquility N.J. 07879 973-786-7500
E-mail streetwise@usa.com
Old 01-22-2004, 06:41 PM
Last photo:

Muncie 4 speeds are a breeze to rebuild. I cut my teeth on them in high school.....that was a long time ago.

Vince
Old 02-19-2004, 07:36 PM

Muncie M20 troubleshooting guide?

Hi,
I'm new to this site. I need to find a troubleshooting guide that will tell me why my Trans. is popping out of 1st + 4th gears as well as grinding into 3rd + 4th.

Quote:
Originally posted by MI2600
I rebuilt my M-20 just using the schematics in the Chevy overhaul manual. Just watch out for the loose needle bearings. As I remember there were something like 126 of them. Just take your time. You'll also probably need an extra set of hands for reassembly.
Hi,
I would like to know where I can find a troubleshooting guide for my Muncie M-20. It is popping out of 1st+4th gears and grinding into 3rd + 4th.
Is your car a Biscayne? I have a '66 with a 454 4spd posi+3.73's.

Robert

Last edited by 454 Biscayne man; 02-19-2004 at 07:36 PM.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.