Hot Rod Forum banner

Muncie Rockrusher won't engage

1K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  AutoGear 
#1 ·
So I took the Camaro out for a short spin yesterday and it was doing fine, and on my way back my neighbor stopped me to talk for about 10 minutes. So I started the car up and it wouldn't go into reverse or first. I tried second and it seemed like it almost wanted to grab but didn't. This was the first time I actually took the car out. Any ideas?

#2 ·
Let me clarify, it would shift INTO the gear, but the car wouldn't move. There's was no grinding, and I checked my linkage to make sure that is was still functioning properly. I really hope this isn't a transmission issue. Im using a Center force DFX clutch. Thanks fellas.

#3 ·
If the trans is going into gear... with the engine shut off, trans in gear.. can you push the car forward - backwards?

Should be simple to diagnose where the problem is. Clutch , rearend, transmission if the engine power is not being transmitted to move the vehicle

#6 ·
Sounds like the trans is in two gears at the same time, which will lock the driveshaft and make the car unmovable as it locks the rear tires also. just like Park gear on an automatic trans.

Check you shifter linkage on the transmission for one link that didn't return to neutral. Both ends, trans lever end and shifter body end.

Could just be the linkage is miss-adjusted, could be the shifter itself is worn-out if it is old(is it a Hurst?? They can be sent in for rebuilding), could be a shift lever detent/spring problem in the trans, could be a shift lever broken or bent inside the trans.

You'll have to do some investigating under the car.

#8 ·
Maybe I am mis-reading something, but if the engine turns over with the trans in gear and the clutch pedal not pressed, and the car still doesn't attempt to move, wouldn't that indicate a clutch problem? The clutch is not engaging, or possibly the input shaft is broken, or too short? Just a few thoughts that come to mind, again if I am mis-interpretting, forgive me .

Kelly

#11 ·
Before you take the trans out, check the clutch linkage adjustment, it may have been adjusted incorrectly from the start and just is not letting the clutch engage now that it has a few miles on it. And as others have mentioned it may be another problem all together, but it would seem to be a problem between the trans and engine if the car has no response at all.

Kelly

#12 ·
If you start the car with the clutch depressed and let the clutch out while in gear what happens. Does the engine just keep running, does it stall and the car not move.
You initial post is not clear. If it is the latter you have a linkage issue and it is in 2 gears at once. This is a common problem and easily solved with linkage adjustment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.