Hot Rod Forum banner

Muncie Shifting Problem

6K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  AutoGear 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone, I'm working on a '65 Impala with a 4 speed Muncie. The tranny has been completely rebuilt and I have never run it. I installed a Hurst Comp Plus shifter the other day. However, when I went to set the rods at "neutral" I noticed that the 3-4 arm was stuck and would not move freely. After talking with a couple guys online I rotated the output shaft and the 3-4 arm became "unstuck" and I was able to put in the straight up neutral position. Now, the 1-2 arm is stuck and the output shaft will not turn at all. Any Muncie guru's out there that can help?

#2 · (Edited)
shifting prolems

chock the car, get under and disconnect the forward shift rods at the shifter. there should be a hole which lines all the shift levers for neutral pos. line them up ( I use a drill bit) you may have to move the rev. lever if you left it in rev. to Aline them all 2. by hand sift the other 2 levers (1&2 and 3&4) to the center pos. now adjust the rods to Aline with the levers and reinstall them. If your shifter isn't bad (worn out) it should work. lol
P.S. If the car is on the ground you'll have to someone push the clutch before it'll shift. If its off the ground ( wheels free to turn) it won't matter.
If its in 2 gears and you force it to turn, you may rip a gear.

#6 ·
unbolt the shift arms off the tranny, use an apprpriate tool to see if you can rotate the shift shafts individually, trans cannot be in 2 forward gears at one time, unless something is broken or missing, however ,the trans CAN be in 1 forward gear & reverse at the same time, make sure that is not the case. After determining that you have succesfully positioned all 3 shift shaft s in neutral, i.e. output shaft rotates, proceed to adjust your linkage.

dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.