Muncie Sm465 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2006, 05:28 PM
"This aint no kiddie ride"

Last journal entry: 1950 chevy p/u streetrod
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Muncie Sm465

Anyone Know If This Is A Good Tranny Or What It Might Be Worth?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2006, 08:49 PM
Loud Pipes Save Lives

Last photo:

Good depends on one's point of view. To start with it is a Muncie transmission and if by good you mean indestructable then yes it is a very good transmission. It was the main 4 speed used in Chevy and GMC trucks from the late 60's until '87. However, because it is a heavy duty truck trany (180 lbs) the shift does not have a crisp short throw. Clunky and long would be more like it.

First gear is grany at 6.54:1
Second 3.58:1
Third 1.70:1
Fourth 1:1
Reverse 6.09:1

Old Yeller still has the original SM 465 and since I grew up on a west Texas ranch with 4x4 Chevy's that all had the SM 465 I love it. Old Yeller is 2WD and I drag race with it just like it is. Most, truck drag racers would not share my enthusiam however. But because my starting gear is 3.58:1 and auto tranys are approx 2.5:1 I come off the line a lot harder than people expect, meaning I've had more than a few friends eat crow when they got beat by an old yellow trcuk.

There is a market for the SM465 mainly with the 4x4 crowd. It is a popular swap used by rock crawlers in their Jeeps and first gen Bronco's.
Old 05-19-2006, 02:05 AM

Last photo:

I've got a sm465 in my 78 chevy 4x4. In my opinion it is a great truck tranny. It really makes you feel like you're driving a truck. It's noisy, shifts are sloppy, it weighs a ton, but most importantly it is very strong.
I would never use it for drag racing though. Old Yeller, I'm suprised to hear you like it for racing. I would never be able to shift it fast enough, haha.

The only thing wrong with this tranny is that it doesn't have overdrive. I would really like the extra gear. But then again, I think it's possible to get a gear vendors overdrive to bolt onto it.

People do put them in rock crawlers, jeeps, land rovers and stuff so there is a market for selling. Used, I wouldn't pay a lot for one, maybe a couple hundred.
dh
Old 05-19-2006, 07:25 AM
Loud Pipes Save Lives

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dh79
Old Yeller, I'm suprised to hear you like it for racing. I would never be able to shift it fast enough, haha.
Yeah, I know I'm one of a kind. Years of practice has made me pretty fast at it. Timing is everything. I can do it fast enough that I've even had people accuse me of running an automatic until I told them otherwise.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:26 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUICKCHANGE
Anyone Know If This Is A Good Tranny Or What It Might Be Worth?
They are very good truck transmissions. I sold one last year that I listed on craigslist. It came out of a 78 4X4 and was still hooked to a np205 transfer case. I got 450.00 for the combo. I would think that 200.00 would be a fair price if it was in good shape.

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 05-19-2006, 09:37 AM

Last photo:

It's a very good truck tranny...I've had them in both a Chevy and my old Dodge Power Wagon. They're pretty much indestructable and easy to rebuild if the need should arise. I rebuilt one for my father-in-law. The parts kit ran about $75 from the transmission supply warehouse.

-Joe

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.