Mus II dimentions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2005, 07:03 PM
Be American, Buy American!

Wiki Edits: 0

Mus II dimentions

Are all Mustang II dimensions the same? Reason? I want to go to salvage yard to look for one and do not want to buy something i can not use. Next question. I understand that there are some aftermarket bolt in kits which leads me to this question. Are the original mustang II IFS bolt in or weld in.

Al

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2005, 09:45 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

The Pinto/MustangII suspension that everyone seems to prefer is the 74 -78 Models. The original cross members and locating points were welded in.

They came stock with 4 lug wheels and 9 inch brakes.

IMHO...they are NOT for a lot of the heavier vehicles you see them under Light cars like the Pinto and MustangII ............yes

A lot of folks DO NOT match their stuff up right IMHO. If you have a 3500 lbs vehicle .....you do not need a 2000 lbs vehicle suspension NOR do you need a 5 ton front end from a F-350.

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 06-03-2005, 11:06 PM
Be American, Buy American!

Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks Deuce, I was thinking along those lines too but was not 100% sure since nearly everyone uses the Mu II. Are the aftermarket kits built up to withstand the weight of larger cars. On the title, my cars weight is 3300 lbs. Perhaps I should look for Camarro or Nova.

Al
Old 06-03-2005, 11:15 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

This is probably the most discussed topic on the board. Do a search for a bunch more info. Have you followed this thread? The Pinto/MII suspension is actually pretty good for bigger cars than you might think. Whereas most cars (rods especially) have the front axle far in front of the engine center of gravity, the host cars were designed with the front X-member way under the engine so it carries a bunch more weight than you might think. In fact, the strongest MII springs are too strong for virtually all rods with the classic axle configuration. 4 cylinder springs are usually the best match for even big V8s. Horvath (board member) has one under his '54 Chevy pickup and reports to be very happy with it.
Old 06-04-2005, 05:06 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8 '48 bow tie
Are the aftermarket kits built up to withstand the weight of larger cars. On the title, my cars weight is 3300 lbs. Perhaps I should look for Camarro or Nova.

Al
In your original request, the vehicle you were going to put a Pinto/Mustang II under was not mentioned. A lot of folks have the Pinto/Mustang II front under pickups like yours. At 3300 lbs, you should be OK. IF you load it like a truck....( over load it like most trucks ) ....? ?

As a side note, a lot of folks have a clip under that year truck also.....
....because that way they do not have to up grade the brakes and the suspension is more heavy duty ( came from a heavier vehicle .....from the factory ).

IF you go with a bolt in kit for a Pinto/Mustang II, I would weld it in.......after I got it installed and do not, whatever you do........run it without the lower A arm brace........( strut arm support ...I believe is the correct name) Stock Pinto/Mustang II's have it and so should you. This is where MOST of the bad rap Pinto/Mustang II front comes from.

DEUCE........

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.