Hot Rod Forum banner

MuscleCarKid_1991 "Senior Project" thread: Dumped

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Chevrolet4x4s 
#1 ·
Following moderator discussion on the Senior Project PLEASE READ thread, I've moved it to the Dump.

We initially allowed the thread to remain because, although our guidelines don't allow charity solicitations, we thought that it could be left alone because of the nature of the project (school-related), and the fact that there wasn't a specific "charity" involved.

Really, there was a "charity" involved. That charity is MuscleCarKid_1991.

It's unfair to the rest of our members (young, old, in school, or out of school) who don't ask for freebie parts to be sent to them such that they might have an easier time in building their "fun motors". Furthermore, MuscleCarKid_1991's website says:
We build/rebuild engines and racing engines. contact us for information and pricing. All money will be needed up front considering that we are just starting out and will need the money to pay for the parts.
The oddity of a 16-year old running an engine-building shop aside, the third sentence in that statement supports a theme established with MuscleCarKid_1991's "Senior Project" thread. That theme is: "Give me something for free, without me having to prove myself".

Even if MuscleCarKid_1991 really is a 16-year old kid working on a school project (we don't have an accurate way to verify), his request is still not "legitimate". We have plenty of 16-year olds on this board who don't ask for freebies, who make valid contributions to this community, and who struggle to build their engines. They buy cheap crappy cars, and fix them up as best they can with money they earned. We also have plenty of 60+ year olds who went through the same ritual when they were 16.

MuscleCarKid_1991's prominent display of his personal, financial, or academic situation ultimately fails to justify the nature of his request. A classified ad stating something like: "I'll mow lawns in exchange for parts to help me build my engine" would have been much more respectful. Not only would such a strategy likely result in success, but it would demonstrate the greater virtues of hard work that any "Senior Project" should be promoting.

Some of our kinder members have offered to send free parts to MuscleCarKid_1991. To them, I offer this suggestion:

You are already donating your most valuable asset to our younger members: your knowledge and experience. If you want to further support the efforts of a younger hotrodder, pick one from among our community, who has already taken the time to demonstrate a willingness to help others, a record of hard work, and a dedication to completing a project. Send him (or her) a PM, offering some extra parts that you may have, which may be relevant to his or her current project.

I've updated our guidelines to include the following:
We don't allow solicitations for free parts or services.
This thread is open for comment (although I accept that it may too have to eventually be Dumped).

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.