Music? - Page 18 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Off-Topic
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2012, 06:23 AM
one full turn after it squeeks

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by malc View Post
The first album I bought with my own earned money was the Beach Boys, Duece Coupe.
Aging myself again but my first album was 78 RPM (NO that's not a misprint, I said 78 RPM) and they were mail order only. The songs on them were popular charted songs at the time but were "only" cover tunes by some studio groups and musicians - - not by the original artists. I've still got them around here somewhere and if I can find them I'll post up a couple of pics. They should be pretty sought after collectables, I would think???

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 06:42 AM
Living At The Speed Of Life

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wretched ratchet View Post
Aging myself again but my first album was 78 RPM (NO that's not a misprint, I said 78 RPM) and they were mail order only. The songs on them were popular charted songs at the time but were "only" cover tunes by some studio groups and musicians - - not by the original artists. I've still got them around here somewhere and if I can find them I'll post up a couple of pics. They should be pretty sought after collectables, I would think???
Careful Em, Sodīs law says, "You touch īem after all this time theyīll break."
Old 12-10-2012, 07:08 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
The first album I bought with my own earned money was the Beach Boys, Duece Coupe.
Good album, my sister had bought that. She was into the Kingston Trio, Brothers Four, Ventures, Barry McGuire- good pre-Brit invasion stuff IMO.

My first music I bought myself, I splurged for three albums (a massive expenditure!): Beatles Revolver, Stones High Tide/Green Grass and some god-forsaken Doors cover band instrumental pos (I was going by the songs and missed the whole deal about it not being the Doors). I was bummed about that but the others were good. Only Beatles album I ever bought.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:09 AM

Last photo:

You are so correct and I was very careful but I did manage to get some pics. I know that most viewers could care less about the piece of vinyl history but some may. Anyhow these 2 78 RPM albums offer "18 Greats Hits" but not from the artists that made them hits. As you will notice there is no Clyde McPhatter, The Platters, Elvis, Richard Penniman (lil Richard), Fats Domino or Ray Charles, even tho some of these songs were their chart toppers. The first pic shows a standard 78 RPM Clyde McPhatter Atlantic record with one song on each side for comparison in size to the bottom ones that have 3 songs on each side. Yes I have misplaced one of the set.

Thanks for letting an old rocker think back ways this morning !
Old 12-10-2012, 07:19 AM
WFO

Last photo:

I would think rock on 78's would be rare. I have some 78's from my Grandmother. Some only have music on one side. About the only song I remember off the top of my head is Mona Lisa by Nat King Cole.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:37 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327 View Post
I would think rock on 78's would be rare.
I guess it would depend on what you called "Rock" - - - I do know that Elvis and all the cats at Sun Records laid their original stuff on 45s but Ray Charles had lots of 78s that were upbeat and some called it Rock. I would think that it would probably be "only" the artists that had already established themselves and were recording on 78s in the "Pop" field before 45s came along - - - don'tcha think???
Old 12-10-2012, 10:06 AM

Last photo:

This is reel good, just heard it on KD radio.

Play it LOUD.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:09 AM

Last photo:

Talking rare stuff, we had an Edison phonograph at home, now itīs with my brother.
Apparently there were hundreds of cylinder "records" at my grandmotherīs house, but on her death
other family vultures beat us to them.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:36 AM

Last photo:

Yeah, my grandpa had an Edison cylinder phonograph, a wall telephone and a spinning wheel that all got sold in a garage sale by my granny before we knew anything about it. I guess she just wanted all the visual memories gone after he passed away.

Chief, don't get me started on Fogerty and CCR because I'm an addict for that sound and what it meant to me growing up. He invented Bayou Boogie and still owns it as far as I'm concerned.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:25 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
This is reel good, just heard it on KD radio.

I Heard It Through The Grapevine

Play it LOUD.
One of my favorite Creedence tune is Born on the Bayou. Kinda simple tune but catchy. '69 was a good year for me as far as girls and such went and the music really hit a chord (npi) w/me, too. Laying w/Cindy S. (what you up to, girl?) listening to Blind Faith... Just glad I had no idea of what '70 had in store for me... but that's another story.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:48 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327 View Post
Good album, my sister had bought that. She was into the Kingston Trio, Brothers Four, Ventures, Barry McGuire- good pre-Brit invasion stuff IMO.

My first music I bought myself, I splurged for three albums (a massive expenditure!): Beatles Revolver, Stones High Tide/Green Grass and some god-forsaken Doors cover band instrumental pos (I was going by the songs and missed the whole deal about it not being the Doors). I was bummed about that but the others were good. Only Beatles album I ever bought.
Itīs only recently Iīve bought a bunch of Beatles Cds, the red and blue albums of greatest hits being good complilations.
The White album for all the hype back when it came out failed to move me.
If you have Revolver get Rubber Soul, you can count them as one album.
The Rolling Stones never got me hooked either, I can listen to them but I believe Iīve only one of their albums.

When the Byrds first came to the UK they were ambushed by the Muscians Union which did not allow non members to perform so we had to watch them loon about to Mr Tambourine Man.

Nice offshoot.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:02 PM

Last photo:

They can say what they want to about the movie "Easy Rider" but it had one of the most fitting and awesome soundtracks of any Movie I've seen. Speaking of the Byrds, just last night I watched a rerun of The Marty Stuart Show where his guest was Roger McGuinn and even tho I was hoping for WBTF they did Mr. Tamborine Man instead - - - bummer.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:05 PM

Last photo:

Now look what you started, Chief.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:17 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: 360 mopar
Last photo:

There was rock and roll years before anyone got credit It was when a record became a big hit and it was noticed that it went in the record books:

"Crazy About My Baby" by "Blind Roosevelt Graves and brother Uaroy, recorded in 1929, was a rhythmic country blues with small group accompaniment. Its stated that this "could be considered the first rock 'n' roll recording". The brothers also recorded rhythmic gospel music. The Graves brothers, with an additional piano player, were later recorded as the Mississippi Jook Band, whose 1936 recordings including "Skippy Whippy", "Barbecue Bust" and "Hittin' The Bottle Stomp" were highly rhythmic instrumental recordings which, according to writer Robert Palmer, "..featured fully formed rock and roll guitar riffs and a stomping rock and roll beat"

Some credit Ike turner, Others say Bill Haley and there's a few others

Jester

Old 12-10-2012, 02:21 PM

Last photo:

I saw Easy Rider in a small theater in London, sat right in the front.
The ending left me stunned.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.