Must II comparison - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2005, 10:13 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Must II comparison

A lot of people use the Must II IFS under their rod ,however I have not seen a guide as to the differences between different mII IFS to help rodders make a choice.

I will probably get a lot of disageement on this , but one item of difference is the of strut rods.

The use of Strut rods, if kept in their original plane(not heated & bent), will make the front end more trouble free.( I speak as a Mech Engr). The lower A-arm takes a lot of force & needs to absorb these forces. Eliminating or bending the strut for appearance is perhaps not te best approach.

I'd like to see comparisons on different mfgs kits. Does anyone check out different Mfgs or buy by what is advertized or priced the least.

One last item.....why are we so stuck on the Must II when we could have a Corvette?

Don

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2005, 10:46 AM

Last photo:

I didn't buy a kit, mine is out of a Mustang and uses the strut rods. Had to fab a mouting location on the frame to utilize the rod without bending it. I've read a lot of posts on here from very knowledgable people and I believe the consensus is to use the strut rod. Most kits that I've looked at don't come with strut rods, however some offer them as an add-on such as Heidts and Fatman.

The popularity of the MII I think is due to the fact that it is very functional and plentiful which means it is more cost effective and there are a ton of parts for it. Also for the beginner I would think it is easier to install opposed to grafting on a sub frame.

Barry
Old 08-03-2005, 11:27 AM

Last photo:

Barry...I agree that the Must II is easier to install than a sub-frame, however the Vette is not a sub frame.

Okay experts....lets see a comparison of different Must II kits.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:58 AM

Last photo:

I didn't explain myself very well I guess. I know that the Vette isn't a sub frame my point was that the MII is popular due to it's "ease of installation". Sorry for the confusion.

Barry
Old 08-03-2005, 12:40 PM

Last photo:

The mustang II has the right sizes track for many of the fat fendered cars.

It has been mentioned several times in the past threads that the Mustang II does not fit very well in a model a with fenders.

Other front ends have been used such as the Corvair but when you consider all you get stock from a mustang II used in the right application it is hard to beat. No messing with track widths that influence bump steer and many other factors. Now with all the parts makers it is almost standard.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:29 PM

Last photo:

Both points are well taken ,but I'm looking for a comparison of different Mfg's kits so someone who is looking to buy one has something other than price to compare.

Anyone dare to do the research to do this? I want to see the differences between different Mfgs.

Don
Old 08-03-2005, 01:41 PM

Last photo:

Must II comparison

Hi guys,
I just happened on your conversation about the Mustang II front ends. I just finished putting a 78 Mustang II front end under my 40 Chevy coupe. It is the first time I have done a front end installation. It worked great. I cut off the old mustang sheet metal left on by the salvage yard, notched the "hat" section of my frame, and welded it in place. The front end will fit almost perfectly. I bought a 11" front brake kit from Speedway Motors. so I could have Chevy wheels all around. I think the kit set the wheels out about 3/4 inch, but still clear my stock steel fenders.

I wanted to put in my two cents on your comments on the struts. I bought a strut removal kit from Full Tilt Street Rods. They give you all the stuff to replace the struts, and I see a lot of cars with them. It is a bolt-on kit, except for a gusset you weld to the crossmember where the rod attaches to the lower a-arm. Slick deal, and looks good.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.