Must II IFS/Chevy AD truck - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2008, 04:46 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Must II IFS/Chevy AD truck

I am feeling a little better & am back working on my 48 GMC trk(1/2 ton).
I have a TCI Must II IFS installed w/350 lb/in springs. Now for the problem...
the trk has not started to compress the springs & all the weight is on them.

If I bounce up & down on the front end the springs do not move also the spindles are very hard to move like they are binding.
I thought I'd remove the springs & cut a 1/2 coil from them, but thought I'd ask you guys what your thoughts were.

Thanks Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	buford Picture 054.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	32910  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2008, 06:02 PM

Last photo:

I would hesitate to cut on the springs. Why don't you call TCI and ask if they have a weaker spring? Keep in mind that new springs will "settle" to a length maybe 1/2 to 1" lower than when first installed.....takes a few hundert miles. Have you greased all of the Ball joints etc?
Old 09-27-2008, 07:27 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I am told that the lower a arms should be even with the bottom of the crossmember with the full weight of the vehicle.
As far as bouncing the vehicle, how much do you weigh?LOL
Old 09-27-2008, 07:47 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

You can cut a coil, but I'll bet that with all the weight on now it won't help. I know that the springs that come with most all of those kits is usually too stiff of a spring. They usually supply v-8 springs, but because the motor is back further in most street rods and trucks more of the weight is on the rear, and the V8 springs are too much. A friend of mine set up his truck with 350# springs, which was too stiff, even with cutting a coil.. he then used a set of 325# and felt that it was tolerable, but still a tad too stiff. He's going to try a set of 317# but he thinks those will be a little soft...

Later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 10-04-2008, 06:39 AM

Last photo:

I have my Corvair vert on the lift now doing a engine overhaul. As soon as I get the motor back in I'll put the trk on the lift & remove one spring , cut 1/2 coil & see if that helps. If not I'll buy some 4 cyl springs.

Don
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	buford Picture 005.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	33087  
Old 10-06-2008, 05:04 AM

Last photo:

Don,

I am building a 48 chevy AD and have the exact same problem. The original springs just seemed very stiff. After a phone call to the folks who sold me the springs which were supposed to be 4 cyl. springs, I went to a local auto parts store and picked up another set of springs for a 4 cyl. mustang. Completely different springs. The new ones were taller but softer and it was a ***** putting them in. After getting them in the ride was lower but still too tall and the sprpings are bowing a little. I was told to let them be to see if they would "settle". Haven't got the truck on the road yet but I'm going to wait and see.

Barry
Old 10-06-2008, 06:12 AM

Last photo:

That confirms my past findings that 4 cyl springs with 1/2 a coil cut works for a lot of cars. I think that the AD truck has less weight on the front wheels than I was guessing.
Don
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	buford Picture 065.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	33095  
Old 10-07-2008, 10:22 AM

Last photo:

I jacked around for a year on my 1935 Ford with Mustang II.......I originally had QA1 coil overs and after many sets of springs (all of those are VERY short/stiff) I gave up on ever getting the suspension working, I resulted to running the stock six cylinder Ford coils, which were better but the ride heighth was still too tall. I knew that cutting the coils would lower it but mess up the spring rates. I went to my local NAPA store and ordered the four cylinder M II springs. Now the front end is the best it ever was. The springs are 14" long but at least I have some suspension travel now. I would like it a little lower but I will NOT cut coils to get there.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:29 PM

Last wiki edit: Suspension: designs, shapes, sizes Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

re: Must II IFS/Chevy AD truck

For setting up the Mustang II, when you get to the point that you are happy with the ride (most suspensions I set up do indeed have too stiff of springs to begin with) take a look at the angle of the lower control arms. If they are parallel or nearly so with the ground and the car is still too high, install some drop spindles. Heidts sells a nice unit to drop the car 2". If the control arms are angled down to the outboard, shorten the springs to lower the car. The increase in stiffness by cutting the springs will be minimal. In this case, take the shocks out of the mix and make sure the inner bushings have not been tightened with the control arms in the droop position. Put the truck at ride height before tightening any suspension parts. Especially with stock type control arms. Many cars are over-dampened as well, set the shocks full soft if adjustable and start from there.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:35 AM

Last photo:

Well dumb me. I have a sway bar installed in the Must II suspension. You can not get any movement by pushing down on one side rail, but push in the center of the frame & you can move it.
Can you normally get by with softer springs w/a sway bar?

Don
Old 10-08-2008, 07:44 AM

Last wiki edit: Suspension: designs, shapes, sizes Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

re: Must II IFS/Chevy AD truck

That is the beauty of anti-roll (sway) bars. You can, and in my opinion should, run as soft of springs as you can get away with, and then add an anti-roll bar to control body roll.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.