Hot Rod Forum banner

Mustang 2 Front end on a 55 Chevy truck?

16K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  57halfton 
#1 ·
Anyone here do this install. Looks doable with carefull measurements and a good welder.

Question: On the rack and pinion models are the kits to help working out the steering details...i.e. The steering column to the the rack and pinion..or is it a mater odf universal joints and connectors that you have to work out?

Any success stories out there?

Thanks,

Keith

#2 ·
Heidts and probably several othes make Mustang II IFS kits for your truck. When it comes to steering, take a look at Borgeson's web site. You'll find all the universal joints and shafts you'll need there.

#4 ·
Hey Keith,
I have the same problem, I just installed a MII kit on my 56 truck, I was jumping around on the web and found a site that said 70's-80's chevy vans carry the best replacement column. Im hunting one now myself. My only problem is finding one that is not a column shift. I have a 4 spd in my truck. I was just hoping someone could verify if a caprice, monte carlo, chevelle etc.. columns would work because those vehicles were floor shift also.

#5 ·
vortectim said:
Hey Keith,
I have the same problem, I just installed a MII kit on my 56 truck, I was jumping around on the web and found a site that said 70's-80's chevy vans carry the best replacement column. Im hunting one now myself. My only problem is finding one that is not a column shift. I have a 4 spd in my truck. I was just hoping someone could verify if a caprice, monte carlo, chevelle etc.. columns would work because those vehicles were floor shift also.

The REASON ... that the Chevy?GMC van column is so preferred is the column shift, with the column mounter shift indicator. I like them because they also have no key in the column and have a neutral start switch.

If you want no shifter, I suggest finding a 66/67 GTO, Chevelle or similar GM product column.

The early columns are NOT FAT and ugly like the 68 up columns ( IMHO )
and they have no ugly key :embarrass

The early columns adapt well and LOOK right in a early vehicle to me :thumbup:

DEUCE ... Moderator

#7 ·
i have an 89 gmc safari minivan steering column in my 58. yes it has a column shift, but i can't imagine that it would be difficult to shave the nub off after pulling the shift arm off. it came with tilt, ignition and turn but does not have a prndl. fits well in my truck and sticks thru the floor 6 inches. jy cost was $35.

#9 ·
before you go this route i suggest you google " mll failures " . i refuse to install them unless it is a fatman's kit. i have repaired many over the years because of metal fatigue and cracking. unlike fatmans thick wall tubing the others are thin wall plate lazer cut and welded together then ground down .

#11 ·
pics pics pics

hey ogre,
can you overlaod me with pics of a mII install? I think that is what I will do with my 58. I thought about a frame swap and then a clip swap but you guys have "steered me straight" towards a mII kit. now I just gotta figure out which one is best/toughest for my daily drivin, ski boat towin, 5.3 powered '58 longbox (gonna be extended cab). I was thinkin tci. I toured their place and seemed like they were on top of things.
hey also, who has the best prices on replacement body parts like floor pans, cab corners, fenders and the like?
do you know what diff works best for swap? don't need disc brakes, would be ok though.
dennis

#14 ·
Slick , Vortec , Dsraven
Like Ogre , I have a Fatman Mustang II frontend in my 57 Chevy pickup. It's my daily driver and the Fatman frontend has been in for about 13 years, it squeeks but it's been a good setup. I used a Ididit steering column some double D shaft and several u-joints to tie into my power rack and pinion.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.