Hot Rod Forum banner

mustang 2 suspension problem

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  MARTINSR 
#1 ·
The mustang 2 suspension under my 40 ford coupe rides well and drives well but gets scary at speed. The oversteer is crazy. It's like power steering on steroids. Way to touchy. It is a manual rack. Is there any way to dampen the steering to gain more control? Ball joints and bushings are tight hs new springs and shocks and tires. Thanks so much Atlas

#3 ·
Yes caster plays a major role in ft. suspensions. Are you using a GM pump with the MII rack? If so you will need a different flow control valve in the reaar of your pump.Remove your pressure line then remove the nut that the line came out of. That is the flow valve.The difference is the port size of the two valves.This restricts the flow to the rack.Too much flow will cause the MII to feel to loose or out of control.There is also a shim kit for the relief spring but sets your pressure. Most of the time the valve will cure your problem Cost is $27.00

#6 ·
Keep in mind...with a manual rack, adding castor will cost you increased "effort" at low speed, so it's a more critical balancing act than with power steering. My power rack has +4° castor, but for a manual you'd prolly want between +1° and +2°.

Russ

#8 ·
I have aligned dozens of Mustang II front ends and these are the specs I shoot for for a manual rack.

Camber -1/2 to -5/8 both sides
Caster +2 1/2 LF +2 3/4 RF
Toe 1/8" In

You should see a marked improvement in driveablilty with these specs. If you have wide front tires you may want to kick the positive caster back a bit to about 2 degrees left and 2 1/4 right.

Where are you located? Maybe I can set you up.

Regards,

Andy

#10 ·
Hi Andy, I just thought i would let you know how things are going on the alignment. I found a shop that said they could set up the front end to the specs you gave me. It took them 5 hours to get it done. I paid the bill and went to retrive my car. Heres where it gos wrong. The tech went to back my car off the rack but instead of putting it in reverse he put it in drive and drove it off the rack into the alignment machine and the wall. Needless to say the front of my coupe is wrecked and i havent had the chance to see how it drives. It hasen't been a good week. I'll let you know how the car drives if and when they get it fixed. Atlas

#13 ·
Oh DAMN! I'm so sorry to hear about that, DAMN that sucks! Don't take any crap from them on getting it fixed RIGHT! (the body damage that is)

All kinds of goofy stuff will come up, them having a friend do it, or wanting to use all repro parts when yours was original, that sort of crap, don't take anything from them that you aren't happy with. DAMN I am so sorry, geezz.

Brian

#11 ·
MAN !!!!! Is that crazy or what... I don't think I would ever go back to them... Sorry to hear this.. I think I would have lost it in their shop... It does sound like the caster isn't right... But I think you have more to worry about now.. They would be fixing my car for sure now..:spank:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.