Hot Rod Forum banner

Mustang 351 mustang install

2K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  timothale 
#1 ·
HEllo, i am in the process of buying a 351 carbureted engine and an auto matched up to it. i was wondering what would i have todo o get it to sit on my engine mounts in my 1980 mustang???. do i have to fabricate mounts and crossmember? i can get ahold of 302 frame parts. what do i need if anyone has done this swap before. and what rearend would hold up to this engine. i know my 7.25 wont handle but one snap of the throttle and itll be junk.

#2 ·
The 351Windsor and 351Cleveland will both fit in this car, which do you have??.

Both will fit on stock 79-93 Fox chassis 302 mounts as long as this car came with a 4cyl or V8 originally, if it came with a straight six you will have to mod the crossmember, I'm not sure about differences if it had a V6.

You will need either a Fox-body specific 351W or 351C swap pan and oil pick-up to fit the chassis depending on which engine you have. Headers will also have to match either engine and the Fox chassis.

The rear to get that is plenty strong enough and a bolt-in is the 8.8" Ford out of a similar bodied Mustang GT or V8 LX.

#8 ·
74chevyflat said:
will an 8.8 out of a meverick work in my car?
Maverick is not 8.8" it is only 8", totally different year and weaker anyway than the 8.8". Maverick is also leaf spring and '80 Mustang is factory 4-link, can't be swapped.

8.8" is '85-up Mustang, started being installed when the first fuel injected 302's were put into production.

#11 ·
oil pan

Check out an oil pan out of a 351 van might work for you , oil pan pick up tube and long stud end bolt, some racers slot the front crossmember to move it foreward and slot the motor mount bolt holes to move the engine rearward to get more weigth to the rear and better traction.

#13 ·
74chevyflat said:
i can get a 1984 lx convertible. would it be any good?
a guy is selling the rear-end tranny driveshaft, and tranny . for 250 because its taking up space at his house.
84 still has the same weak 7.5" rear you have now. Has to be '85-up V8 car to have the good 8.8" rear. GT or LX with V8, 1985 and newer.

The correct oil pan is specific to a 351W in a Fox chassis, nothing else is going to work without cutting the crossmember or the pan somewhere.

#14 ·
bigger brakes next ?

Upping the horsepower will make bigger brakes necessary. the 5 bolt lug brakes came out of the parts bin. later spindles, linclon rotors and calipers, towncar or mark rear brakes. ranger 5 lug rear axle shafts. the mustang guys have articles and lists of what parts you can find for cheap to make it all work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.