Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Mustang 4 lug conversion to 5 lug and bigger brakes
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2011, 05:06 PM

Last journal entry: Back At Work
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjenjo
If it is an 8" rear, it's not an 83, the last 8" rears were in 1978. That gives two possibilities as to what it can be. The first is 65-67 Mustang six cylinder. That would be 57.5" wheel mounting face to wheel mounting face. It should have 10" brakes. Just changing to V8 5 lug axles and drums from the same year is all that is needed. The other possibility is 76 to 78 V8 Mustang. This one will be just under 57" wheel mounting face to wheel mounting face. The bolt pattern on the housing end is different than any other Ford 8" rears. The Mustang axles will fit by changing the bearing retainers, and trimming the spline end of the axle slightly. To go to the bigger 10, or 11 inch brakes, you will need backing plates and drums from an 8" or 9" rear with a small bearing housing. The bolt holes in the backing plate have to be redrilled.
Hi, Actually it is like the 2v/v8 or the 4v/v8 but not the hp4v/v8, a 9". It's not like the six cylinder but like the v8. I think they are different? It is too wide to be a 65-66 v8 8" and does not have the same axle tube shape. That is all I can say. Because the 302 is an 83 date I thought the rear end may have come from the same car.
I have the third member date code id plate. WDY-AA ( a 70's Mustang I think)7KC (?) second line reads 3. 0 0 8 (3/1 ratio and an 8") 2 4 6 D (? a date code?) Is there any other date codes on axles or? I wonder if the third member and axle housing are different years. Thanks for your help. Les