Mustang Body Work - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2004, 10:39 PM

Last journal entry: Cowl Panel RUST!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Mustang Body Work

i have a 67 ford mustang and it was a daily driver for a while and now its time to get this car looking good again and take off all the pounds and i do mean pounds of bodyfiller this car has on it. The car seems as if it is just layed in bondo. The only parts that dont have body filler on it is the roof, cowl, engine bay and trunk area i need new quarter panels since the old ones are so bad that from inside the trunk you can see where the bondo went through rust holes. I was wondering what steps i should take to strip this quater panel, replace it, and prime it. I have taken body shop before but this will be my first quater panel involving mig or any kind of welding.
Thanks in advance everyone

Jose

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2004, 11:09 PM
point on positive

Last photo:

Do you already have the new panel? I always vote for less is better and would want to see a pic if you can. These mustangs are famous for rusting in the Q-pnl low area and maybe a patch will be all you really need to splice in there..
Old 02-17-2004, 11:13 PM

Last photo:

Well both quater panels have damaged in the center area of the panel and even the wheel wells have damage to them, theres just so much body filler that from the outside the car looks nice, and the whole panel is rusted from the inside.
Old 02-17-2004, 11:22 PM
point on positive

Last photo:

I just wouldn't want you to get in deeper than you need and was hopeing something like this would help. http://www.a2zautoforums.com/showthread.php?t=700

However still would hope to see pics. I had a 67 Mustang once back in the day and sure loved that car. Someday I will get another
Old 02-18-2004, 01:39 PM
Crap, hand me the grinder!

Last journal entry: Back on track
Last photo:

depends on your equipment...

If you have access to a sand blaster, I'd blast the paint off and see exactly what you have underneath. You could use a textured wheel on your drill too. Yours sounds alot like mine, but I could get away with just the extended rear quarter patch panel which is about 11" to 1'-0" above the bottom rear of the car. The patch panels were only about 12 buck a piece and come completely formed and ready to install. There are several dents in mine all along the back side but the rust is only severe at the bottom quarter. I enclosed a picture of mine after I removed several coats of paint, which beforehand, looked not-too-bad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	before removal.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	1263  
Old 02-18-2004, 05:34 PM

Last photo:

actually to be honest with you guys the only way i can really take all the paint off is with sandpaper at the moment i dont have much money and trying to see what i can do by doing must of the work myself. The rain has stopped me from sanding down the car today but that patch panel idea might work im not sure. later on today im gonna look for a mustang pic and show the area that is pretty bad in that pic so you guys get an idea of the probs i have with the panel.

thanks for all the info
Old 02-18-2004, 07:07 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

If you can get by with just patch panels you will be better off. Unless you can get your hands on OEM quarter panels, you will most likely have alot of work ahead of you trying to get reproduction panels to fit. The ones I have seen and purchased, fit very poorly.
Old 02-18-2004, 07:51 PM

Last photo:

They fit poorly?

Mine match up fine. What kind of problems did you have? They just didn't match the original shape?

Pencilneck314

I think I'm confused. By patch panel do you mean the lower quarter patch as opposed to the complete quarter replacement?
Old 02-18-2004, 09:32 PM

Last photo:

okay heres a pic of a mustang and i have lines pointing to damage and a little explanation of the work needed or already done by a previous owner.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	quater panel.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	1267  
Old 02-19-2004, 08:27 AM

Last photo:

Nope, no good...

We need an actual picture of the car YOU own. If we can't see the extent of the actual damage, then how can anybody help you figure out what steps to take? Some shots from inside the trunk would really help. If you don't have alot of money, a textured wheel cost 5 bucks at Wal-Mart. It'll take off the Paint, primer, bondo and whatever else is under there. Honestly, if you don't have access to a body hammer set, welding machine, or air tools, it sounds like it'd be better if someone else do it.

Just my opinion,
Pencilneck314

Last edited by Pencilneck314; 02-19-2004 at 10:21 AM.
Old 02-19-2004, 01:18 PM

Last photo:

well im gonna buy a welder, and all the body tools needed soon im just waiting for my tax money to come in. Ive taken body shop so i know how to do most of the work just wanted to know how hard it is to fix a quater panel.
Old 02-19-2004, 02:21 PM

Last photo:

its actually not that difficult to change the entire quarterpanel, ive changed both sides on mine and its prety straight forward. its also the only way to get rid of the bad work thats been done on the car once and for all
Old 02-19-2004, 02:35 PM

Last photo:

yeah ive heard its not that hard to change the panels out and have seen websites shown how to do it. Also does anyone know a good place to pick up Body tools? so that i can buy a few body hammers and such.

Thanks
Old 02-19-2004, 07:55 PM

Last photo:

ok well untill i have more money to approach the panels i bought some paint stripper and im gonna apply that to the trunk lid. I bought some paint stipper called Tal-Strip II Aircraft Coating Remover from my local kragen auto parts. First time using this kind of stripper but i guess itll do considering it was only 9 bucks. And im also gonna use Dupli color sandable black primer to spray the trunk lid after ive stripped it. The trunk lid looks perfect with just one small ding. i would take pics of the process but dont have any film around the house. Maybe ill buy some before i start tommorrow.

Well if you guys have any comments on the stripper or paint im using please let me know before i put it on tommorrow

thanks
Old 02-20-2004, 01:49 PM

Last photo:

ok big problem, i used the paint stripper and my stang had about 7 layers of paint and the stipper only stripped 50% of the trunk lid to bare metal. I was gonna continue tommorrow but it started to sprinkle so i had to use my can of black sandable primer and painted the whole trunk lid black now diff layers all of the trunk. It stands out due to higher layers of paint compared to the bare metal spots.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.