Hot Rod Forum banner

mustang casting numbers

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  johnnyford 
#1 ·
I have a 68 mustang fastback j-code car w/a 302 4bl. Im trying to figure out if the motor is original. The date codes on the heads, and intake jive w/the build date of the car but I havent pulled the starter off to ck the code on the block(Im told that is where it is) . My question is do mustang motors have vin# stamped into tne block and if so what is the loctaion, if not, then how do you positively I.D. a motor as original to that specific car. I know that the casting number will give you the model line= Z for mustang and that just confirms that it is out of a mustang. Date code will tell you the year that mustang is, but not specific car. Any experts out there this is my first stang. thanks..

#2 ·
johnnyford said:
I have a 68 mustang fastback j-code car w/a 302 4bl. Im trying to figure out if the motor is original. The date codes on the heads, and intake jive w/the build date of the car but I havent pulled the starter off to ck the code on the block(Im told that is where it is) . My question is do mustang motors have vin# stamped into tne block and if so what is the loctaion, if not, then how do you positively I.D. a motor as original to that specific car. I know that the casting number will give you the model line= Z for mustang and that just confirms that it is out of a mustang. Date code will tell you the year that mustang is, but not specific car. Any experts out there this is my first stang. thanks..
Not an expert. I can't remember my exact numbers.

= Finally junked the block 3 years ago. It laid outside for 8 yr. doing a rust test. By the way, LPS-3 is a good cylinder preservative.

My (68) J code car had a stamped number on the machined water pump boss in front of the left head. When the head deck is milled it comes out on the water pump boss. I think just an assemby date for the engine. 7K27 Oct. 27, 1967. I think.

It also had a vin on the milled spot immediately behind the intake manifold. I think it said 8Rxxxxxx. R for San Jose.

#5 ·
Responding to somebody elses PM.
You can put your questions into the thread so all can hear. We aren't hijacking.

I have no idea why it had any numbers stamped on it. But it did. They were very neat so it appeared that they were stamped simultaneously with a long die.

Some people used to see the 7K27 number and think it was a K code. ;)

The J code got rebuilt with a 68 302 block and sold.

:D NO, J code heads are NOT hipo heads. Just plain old renumbered 289 C/A code heads with the same peanut shaped chambers. They are identical in every way to the C60E except the casting numbers. Same 124 cc ports, valves, 53.5 cc chambers.

What made the J heads get numbered 4V is that Ford also made a large chamber 289 and a large chamber 302 head in 68. So they distinguished the small chamber 4V head with 302 4V under the valve covers, and also casting numbers under the intake.

Early 351W heads through 74 with the big spark plugs have 60 cc chambers and 144 cc intake ports with 1.84 valves.

#6 ·
jimdog said:
Xntrik, I'd seen those before and thought they were the last part of the vin, wouldn't the R be the engine code?
8 = year
R= vehicle assembly plant code, Mustangs only R=SanJose, F= Dearborn, T= Metuchen
xxxxxx = six digit vin sequence from that assembly plant

That way all you have to do is look to that year/plant/sequence and it tells which car it went in. Traceable if stolen.

In the car registration VIN the engine code is the 5th postion, a letter

example 8R02Jxxxxxx

68, R=SanJose, body (different than door tag codes), J=engine code, sequence vin.

:welcome:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.