Mustang Drip Rail Rivets - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2006, 06:55 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Mustang Drip Rail Rivets

I did a search on this and found the subject but not the answer to my question. I have a 66 Mustang F/B and would like to remove the driprail to make sure I get all of the rust. It looks like it is surface rust only. Would I be better off leaving the driprail on and using navel jelly to clean it up or removing it and cleaning it without anything on it? If I remove it where do I get the stainless rivets to put it back on and would they work with a regular pop rivet gun? It looks like they would but I want to make sure. Thanks for any input on this.

Danny.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2006, 08:17 AM

Last photo:

Rivets? Is this the driprail section on the A-pillars?
Old 08-22-2006, 08:57 AM

Last photo:

I removed the drip rails on one of my 64 1/2 Mustangs and I did not find any rivets, only about a MILLION spot welds! These things were a PITA to remove/replace and in my case anyway turned out to be unnecessary as the small amount of rust visible on the outside was all there was. I have to agree with you about wanting to remove all the rust but are you sure you have rust under the rails? If so you will have to remove them to get to it but rust in this area does not seem to be a real problem on most Mustangs unless they are badly rusted everywhere else.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:09 PM

Last photo:

badbob,
Yes, this is the stainless that goes up the A-pillar, over the door window and around the back of the window.

oldred,
I just checked my son's 64 1/2 coupe and his is like yours. It doesn't have any rivets either. I looked at my 66 F/B again and it appears that the stainless is in two pieces. When I posted I thought it was all one piece. It has the stainless like the coupe that goes all the way around and another piece of stainless under the drip rail going all the way around with rivets to hold it in place. I guess the F/B is made different than the coupe. I was working on it today and it doesn't have very much rust and shouldn't be that hard to get off. I didn't want do do it but I'll probably just leave it on there and clean it out real good.

Thanks for the replys,
Danny
Old 08-22-2006, 09:52 PM

Last photo:

Danny , Can you post a pic of what your talking about ? years past I've worked on a few Mustangs and I can't recall any rivets.

Take Care
Earl
Old 08-23-2006, 07:05 AM

Last photo:

I did a 66 fastback a few months back and never noticed any rivets in this area. Sounds to me like someone has been into this car before. ???
Old 08-23-2006, 07:58 AM

Last photo:

I don't have a digital camera but if I can get my son to come over with his camera I'll get him to take a couple pictures. The rivets would be under the window weatherstripping if it were installed. I do think this is original because it's the same way on both sides and it is an original paint car. It is a deluxe interior car. I don't know if that would make a difference with the stainless being above the windows or not. I'm stripping it right now and it only has one coat of paint except for a small repair area. I've known the history of this car back to about 1974.

Danny
Old 08-23-2006, 09:34 AM

Last photo:

Are you talking about just removing the stainless trim or the steel drip rail that that is spot welded to the roof? The ones I have seen (the trim) is held in place with stainless screws but there probably are some riveted on too since you have one, either way it would not matter because you can use screws to reattach this trim. Now if you are talking about the actual drip rail that is part of the roof I would not recommend removing this part unless absolutely necessary because it is a MAJOR hassle and in my case turned out to be a lot of unnecessary work.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:16 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
Are you talking about just removing the stainless trim or the steel drip rail that that is spot welded to the roof? The ones I have seen (the trim) is held in place with stainless screws but there probably are some riveted on too since you have one, either way it would not matter because you can use screws to reattach this trim. Now if you are talking about the actual drip rail that is part of the roof I would not recommend removing this part unless absolutely necessary because it is a MAJOR hassle and in my case turned out to be a lot of unnecessary work.
I'm not talking about the steel drip rail itself but the stainless trim. I didn't think about putting screws back in but that should work. I'd rather put it back on with rivets to make it more permanant but if I can't find the correct ones I'll use screws.

I didn't get the camera but if I do I'll post pictures.

Thanks,
Danny
Old 08-26-2006, 01:32 PM

Last photo:

OK, this is the first time I have ever posted a picture so I hope it works. This is part of the stainless trim that I was talking about with the rivets. Does anybody know where to find these rivets or are they just rivets you would find in the hardware store. Hope this works.

Danny
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0796.JPG
Views:	324
Size:	249.2 KB
ID:	14404  
Old 08-26-2006, 01:40 PM

Last photo:

If you use pop rivets just make sure they are steel and not aluminum. I know a lot of people use aluminum rivets but this can cause galvanic corrosion because of the dissimilar metals so use steel.
Old 08-26-2006, 04:31 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
If you use pop rivets just make sure they are steel and not aluminum. I know a lot of people use aluminum rivets but this can cause galvanic corrosion because of the dissimilar metals so use steel.
They appear to be stainless. If I can't find any stainless I'll probably use stainless screws like you were talking about.

Thanks,
Danny

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.