Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Mustang guys, I need your help!
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 09:30 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Mustang guys, I need your help!

Long story short, I'm hot-rodding a 1950 Chevy pickup. I bought a Heidt's cross-member for Mustang II and installed it. My dad has a friend who had planned on doing the same thing to his truck, but he sold the truck instead, so he gave us the front end components for free. The entire front end is complete (as in I have all the parts; they're just sitting in a toolbox right now), but I have no idea what year the parts are. I know he pulled them off a Mustang II car a few years ago, but I don't know the exact year.
This is where the problem starts. How can I determine the year of the parts? Is it even possible just by looking at them? I'm asking because the instruction on the Heidt's cross-member say to C-notch a spot in the frame for the power steering rack, but it is in a different spot for 74-78 Mustang racks and 79-93 racks. I need to have this done and welded by the end of this upcoming weekend so I can paint the frame (It's getting cold in Montana and my shop isn't heated).
I don't know if this helps, but it's a four-lug front end with disc brakes. It uses a strut rod, too, but I don't know squat about Mustangs, so I don't know if that helps determine the production year or not.
Thanks a ton for your help.

(Shorter version: how do you tell the model year of a Mustang II power rack-and-pinion setup?)
-CJH2772