Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Suspension - Brakes - Steering (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/suspension-brakes-steering/)
-   -   Mustang II (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/mustang-ii-189223.html)

GaryG65 12-17-2010 07:59 AM

Mustang II

Right now I have more time than money; can anyone tell me if an M II, from an actual M II, will fit undr my 65 Ranchero without a boatload of mods, or would a guy be better off to use an old Chrys. K member?

matts37chev 12-17-2010 08:46 AM

can you even find an actual must2 front end now ?

302 Z28 12-17-2010 09:33 AM

It is not the actual Mustang II parts IMO that makes this front end desirable, it is the geometry that everyone copies. The Mustang II geometry is pretyy near perfect for street rods. FWIW I would not even think about using any Mustang II OEM front end pieces, they are butt ugly.

Vince

matts37chev 12-17-2010 09:46 AM

if money is tight, but you have some skills and tools you might look at somthing like this.

http://www.welderseries.com/catalog/...hp?cPath=22_25

then hunt around to find some inexpensive or used parts to bolt to it.

GaryG65 12-17-2010 03:41 PM

Mustang II

Re: matts37chev,

Yeah, I looked at the welder series and that is one of the options that I have considered. I have found an actual MII at a local salvage yard for $100, but I'm not sure of the chassis measurements to know if it would fit without a lot of frame mods. I've also found a K member for the same price, but I think the track #'s are 3" wider than my ranchero. So, I guess I'm just trying to get some feedback from guys that have done more of this than I have.

matts37chev 12-17-2010 07:33 PM

well, if the parts you found are all good, i would get them and put them on that welder series crossmember

GaryG65 12-18-2010 08:01 AM

Mustang II

Quote:

Originally Posted by matts37chev
well, if the parts you found are all good, i would get them and put them on that welder series crossmember

Nice to know that I think along the same lines as others. I have, however, always been one that thinks research, and determination are a guys bet bet. Believe ot or not, I just located a complete, body forward, MII front clip for $200. And when I say complete, I mean complete! Does that qualify as a "barn find"? Or just luck?

timothale 12-18-2010 08:17 AM

M II suspension

There are companies that do a kit for the early mustangs, Check out the Mustang sites, and falcon-comet fairlane sites Falcon and early Mustangs share a lot of parts. Are you going to remove the original spring towers so you can install a bigger engine? The spring towers to cowl adds the rigidity to the front end. If you start cutting be sure to design it strong enough.Google Mustang II to Mustang and you will find a lot of info

shine 12-18-2010 08:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
the stock mll parts are engineered and strong. the original xmember is 10 times better than the aftermarket junk out there. the only one i will install is a fatmans . it is made from heavy wall tube. the others are thin flat welded together and prone to fail. i have replaced 4 that fatigued and cracked. piss poor design to start with . this one is cracked at all bolt holes for the lower control arm. it was an early kit with the 1/2 in plate for the strut which busted out the frame. we replaced them with newer struts but the xmember failed .

GaryG65 12-18-2010 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timothale
There are companies that do a kit for the early mustangs, Check out the Mustang sites, and falcon-comet fairlane Falcon sitesand early Mustangs share a lot of parts. Are you going to remove the original spring towers so you can install a bigger engine? The spring towers to cowl adds the rigidity to the front end. If you start cutting be sure to design it strong enopugh

I have looked far and wide for an affordable (I'm a low buck hotrodder, unfortunately) way to get this thing to handle. While I'd love to just make the call to TCI and order the complete Ranchero kit, that just isn't the route I can take. And yes, the towers have got to go! That would give an extra 14 " for motor under the hood. I mean, it's all about the horsepower! Right? And, that's where the real money gets spent. Either a modular(4.6, coyote motor) or REALLY big! Wouldn't a 429 look nice in there? :thumbup:

timothale 12-18-2010 08:58 AM

if it's free

I got a couple M II "s for free and have parts to do my son's 36 Plymouth, He said he will use the stock X member. We fab most of out own parts, , use the catalogs for reference and how to, It shouldn't be too hard to jig up the front end for reference points and remove the inner fender panels and replace the falcoln "frame rail" with new Heavy wall tubing , add some metal the the cowl top panel then run some tubular braces down behind the front bumper, beef up the radiator support with tubing add a top engine compartment K bracing Just build a bird cage under the fenders, hood. On my Mustang body I added the sub frame tubes front to back, 1 x2 t ube under the rockers and had a ladder down each side cross pieces under the seat area and good points to mount the roll bar.

GaryG65 12-18-2010 09:11 AM

Mustang II

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by shine
the stock mll parts are engineered and strong. the original xmember is 10 times better than the aftermarket junk out there. the only one i will install is a fatmans . it is made from heavy wall tube. the others are thin flat welded together and prone to fail. i have replaced 4 that fatigued and cracked. piss poor design to start with . this one is cracked at all bolt holes for the lower control arm. it was an early kit with the 1/2 in plate for the strut which busted out the frame. we replaced them with newer struts but the xmember failed .

Shine, I've read several of your posts on other threads, and you seem to be a guy that has done more than a couple of these. What do ya think? If I pick up this complete clip, will there be a lot of mods to make to get it in my Ranchero? I hope the pic shows up in this post. If not, it is a complet, body forward front clip. I know that the pic is in my porfile.

[IMG]complete MII[/IMG]

GaryG65 12-18-2010 09:32 AM

Re: if it's free

[IMG]complete M II[/IMG]
Quote:

Originally Posted by timothale
I got a couple M II "s for free and have parts to do my son's 36 Plymouth, He said he will use the stock X member. We fab most of out own parts, , use the catalogs for reference and how to, It shouldn't be too hard to jig up the front end for reference points and remove the inner fender panels and replace the falcoln "frame rail" with new Heavy wall tubing , add some metal the the cowl top panel then run some tubular braces down behind the front bumper, beef up the radiator support with tubing add a top engine compartment K bracing Just build a bird cage under the fenders, hood. On my Mustang body I added the sub frame tubes front to back, 1 x2 t ube under the rockers and had a ladder down each side cross pieces under the seat area and good points to mount the roll bar.

Tim, it's not free, but, $200 for the complete(see my post to shine, and I've added the pic below) clip that I've found, seems to be real cheap. Between you and shine, I am beginning to think I will get this done the way I would be proud of. Just in case I get too involved, thanx in advance for the help. Gotta tell ya guys, I'm real glad I joined this BB. Please bear in mind that you are talking to a guy that has been out of the scene for a long time and is working on his FIRST project. Any pics, articles, etc that will help me get the gist of what you're telling me, would be appreciated.

[IMG]complete MII[/IMG]

shine 12-18-2010 09:53 AM

i've used many stock xmembers. clean them up and set them in. i have even put 2 together to gain some width. there is nothing wrong with them except they dont have the 1-800 -cool factor. which means nothing when you have one busted all to pieces . once you get it all cleaned up and the ranchero frame cleaned up it will come together pretty easy. remove the shock towers and plate the hole up . use the stock strut rod mount too ! but install it after the car is built and weighted down .

NEW INTERIORS 12-18-2010 10:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just make sure you ''USE'' the strut rod .... :pain:

They do make a lot better strut rod that turns the bottom arm more into a Full a-arm.. And Look's a lot better.. I think I bought mine from speedway.. ;)
A lot less binding..But you have to install it right.. ;)

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/atta...id=50931&stc=1

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Tubula...-Rod,2110.html