Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Suspension - Brakes - Steering (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/suspension-brakes-steering/)
-   -   Mustang II ball joint boots (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/mustang-ii-ball-joint-boots-60526.html)

jaxhome 03-29-2005 06:02 AM

Mustang II ball joint boots

I purchased a 36 chrysler street rod with the mustang II cross member attached and the control arms, springs, etc. in a box. Turns out the guy I got the car from used the ball joint boots on another car. It makes no sense to me to buy new ball joints because these are new, but no one seems to sell just the boots for Mustang II's. Hyper flex puts them out but only for General Motors. Has anyone out there found a place that sells the boots for Mustang II's or is there a General Motors style replacement that would fit. I've tried places that sell complete front ends, and the ones that replied to my question said I'd have to buy all new ball joints. With all the street rods and every kit car coming out with mustang II front ends, it's hard to believe no one sells the boots separate.

KULTULZ 03-29-2005 06:30 AM

-ENERGY SUSPENSION-

It shows a Tie-Rod chart but at the bottom of the page is an index of sizes. If you cannot find the correct size, give them a call.

willys36@aol.com 03-29-2005 09:21 AM

I run into the same problem all the time 'cause I like to use junk-yard MII and Pinto x-members and suspensions in my cars. And I have yet to find a source for new boots! I agree it is unbelievable that no one sells them separately but I have never found a source and trust me, I have looked. I guess they assume that if the rubber is that bad, you should replace the joint which is assumed to be bad too.

My solution is to scavenge a handful of good used boots from Pick-A-Part every once in a while to keep in stock.

KULTULZ 03-29-2005 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willys36@aol.com

I run into the same problem all the time 'cause I like to use junk-yard MII and Pinto x-members and suspensions in my cars. And I have yet to find a source for new boots! I agree it is unbelievable that no one sells them separately but I have never found a source and trust me, I have looked. I guess they assume that if the rubber is that bad, you should replace the joint which is assumed to be bad too.

:confused:

http://www.energysuspension.com/media1/Suspen.jpg

-Boots In Polyurethane-

poncho62 03-29-2005 11:00 AM

It's because, they want us to replace them everytime we take them apart. Heaven forbid, that when you go to replace a FWD "CV" joint or axle, that you don't put all new parts in there.........They think that we are made of money.

willys36@aol.com 03-29-2005 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KULTULZ

great site Kul but I couldn't find any listing for any MII stuff let alone ball joint boots. Went to the 'universal fit' section and they don't list 'universal' ball joint boots. Am I doing it right?

KULTULZ 03-29-2005 02:22 PM

The first URL I gave takes you to the tie rod page. There is a universal listing that goes by size. You pick from that chart.

-Here You Go-Ball Joint Boots-

MOOG and TRW also offer boots, but they are not POLYURETHANE.

willys36@aol.com 03-29-2005 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KULTULZ
The first URL I gave takes you to the tie rod page. There is a universal listing that goes by size. You pick from that chart.

-Here You Go-Ball Joint Boots-

MOOG and TRW also offer boots, but they are not POLYURETHANE.

Yes I got to that page but they don't itemize ball joint boots like they do rod end boots and when I do as they suggest,

"* For applications- find your specific vehicle listings and check if these products are available for that vehicle.",

the Ford page doesn't list anything for the MII. Guess a phone call to them is next step!

Do you have Moog and TRW part #s? I have never been able to find listings for these items.

KULTULZ 03-29-2005 02:44 PM

Quote:

the Ford page doesn't list anything for the MII. Guess a phone call to them is next step!

Do you have Moog and TRW part #s? I have never been able to find listings for these items.
Did you see the size chart on the tie rod page? See how the numbering system runs? You would just use the chart to find the size boot you need.

Any large parts jobber will have the full MOOG listing either on CD ROM or text. I was lucky when I had a shop and the guy would search for strange stuff like that because he knew I was strange... :rolleyes:

jaxhome 03-29-2005 03:07 PM

Just spoke to Jegs

They claim they have nothing in ball joint boots for my mustang II. I asked if they ever sold a different boot that wasn't made for a mustang II, but would still fit. They claimed no one has ever asked for them and they had no idea if any other one would fit.. Also spoke to a rep from Moog who says they don't have boots separate for a mustang II.

willys36@aol.com 03-29-2005 03:14 PM

That's been my experience for the last 15 years. Did you measure the ball joint and see of one of their universal ones would work?

jaxhome 03-30-2005 07:49 PM

Response From Energy Suspension

I wrote to energy suspension and asked how they can be putting bushings and boots on all the new mustang II front end kits and then they don't sell the boots separate. This is the response------
"They have done the same thing I [I][U]suggested, finding the boots by dims, and ordering it that way. When Heidts, or whomever, orders a billion tie rod boots we donít necessarily ask what its for. Realistically there are more of these front ends in street rods today than there are Pintos and Mustangs on the road collectively, hence it probably got overlooked in the catalog."
Energy suspension also want us to use the tie rod boot chart for the ball joint boots.
I guess I'll give it a try and let you know what I get after I order them.

KULTULZ 03-31-2005 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaxhome

Energy suspension also want us to use the tie rod boot chart for the ball joint boots.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KULTULZ 03-29-2005 04:22 PM

The tie-rod chart throws you off as you automatically think tie rods boots are smaller. The boots increase in size (in size chart) and will work on most ball joints. I have even done HONDA (Asian) repairs with these.

The chart should be marked as TIE-ROD and BALL JOINT BOOTS.

jaxhome 03-31-2005 12:11 PM

No lip on boots

I tried Jegs again to ask about the chart from Tie Rod Boots. The guy I spoke with said they're not worth using because the have next to no lip on the bottom like mustang II ball joint boots normally do. One good bump and they slip. He directed me to PST in Calif. but they don't list them separately. So, I e-mailed them. Haven't heard back.

KULTULZ 03-31-2005 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaxhome

I tried Jegs again to ask about the chart from Tie Rod Boots. The guy I spoke with said they're not worth using because the have next to no lip on the bottom like mustang II ball joint boots normally do. One good bump and they slip.

http://www.energysuspension.com/media2/tie_r.gif

Quote:

Made of HYPER-FLEXô Performance Polyurethane.

(A) Seals tight at tapered shaft
(B) Sharp edge helps seal-in lubricant
(C) Inside radius of boot works with rod socket as a wiper
(D) Extra sealing lips
(E) Barrel shaped for a better fit
They are made from Polyurethane and will not flex like OEM.

When I tried to get certain sizes from SUMMIT, they had to special order them as they only stocked certain sizes.

http://www.energysuspension.com/media1/Suspen.jpg