Mustang II ball joints problem?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2007, 07:02 PM
Designer, Artist, HotRodder

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Mustang II ball joints problem??

Hello I was wondering if you could help me out.

In August, I hit a lovely Michigan freeway pothole/bump on the left front- Thank God, after I had the new radials installed. Ever since, I have heard this "creak" every so often on suspension "rebound". It doesn't happen continuously and I really can't figure it out. I am sure it's coming from the left front, and I don't remember hearing it before the pothole.

Just before the Dream Cruise, my brother and I looked underneath and he though the ball joints/upper control arms looked odd pushed up against the spring pocket in the Mustang II subframe. The rubber bushings seems crunched too, and there is alot of wet fluid around the right ball joint. Also, the steering rack ( ? ) - big blue bar w/ tie rods at either end, has two bolts with one rubber washer almost worn away, the other completely gone, and alot of fluid on it.

Would you guys mind looking at these pics I sent and tell me what you think? I drove the car to a show in Ypsi this weekend, and the "creaking" sound is getting more frequent. I checked the shock mounts and the running boards, they are all tight, so I can only think the ball joints are being crushed into the frame. I am really at a loss and please excuse my ignorance, I have no prior experience w/ Mustang IIs or any suspension, really. Thank You for your Help.

Left Side:

Left Side Zoom:

Right Side:

Right Side Zoom:

Right Side Upper Control Arm Slots/Mounts:

Left Side Upper Control Arm Slots/Mounts:

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2007, 07:53 PM

Last journal entry: A Little Farther Along
Last photo:

mustang ball joint problems

First thing I would check is the alignment. When you hit the pothole it may have moved your adjustment on the upper control arm. Stop at a good front end shop and ask them to check caster and camber on that side and I think you will find your problem. Have it done as soon as possible front suspension is nothing to let go. Hope that solves your problem.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:53 PM

Last photo:

looking at your pics, i would say you need rack bushings real bad. but i think the real problem is the caster and camber adjustment, which is the upper control arm. i even looks like the right side has moved recently. take it to a good front end shop for a alignment, should fix your problems.good luck.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:55 PM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

It does appear that when you hit the pothole, it knocked out the alignment as evidenced by the control arm hitting the spring pocket. As mentioned, rack mounts are history.

On the other upper ball joint, it appears the grease fitting is frozen and lubricant is being shot over the ball joint instead of into it. The boot is also collapsed showing no lubricant.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:31 PM
Certifiable Streetrodder

Last photo:

I have run into this problem with customer cars in the past. the whole problem is that the aftermarket mustII benches do not have the stamped ridges where the upper a-arm bolts down to. the bottom of the upper control arm shaft has ridges or grooves to "bite"into the ridges or grooves on the top of the bench in the factory applications,and that makes alignment easier,because the upper control arm can be only slightly loosened, and then "jump" from groove to groove while you're aligning,rather than just slamming to the inside of the bench on a smooth surface. your bench will work fine, but remember to torque the bolts to 100 ft pounds when properly aligned,taking into consideration what effect a long extension bar has on torque readings! try realignment and proper torque specs, and draw a line against the upper control arm shaft on top of the bench,so you can tell at a glance if anything has moved. If it still moves,take the upper control arms off and use a dremel tool with a tiny cutt-off wheel to make straight lines where the upper control arm meets the bench, just deep enough to catch a big thumbnail in, that will solve the problem forever!

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.