Mustang II coilover aligned but pulls right - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2009, 06:11 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Mustang II coilover aligned but pulls right

I have an 49 International KB2 pickup. Several years ago I put in a junkyard Mustang II front suspension with the aid of a Fatman Fab crossmember kit. The guy that helped put it in cut the coils to drop the front more. Too much but anyway it looked cool. The truck rode very rough but I lived with it. I figured it was just to heavy for the suspension (1960 lb on the front). After a while it started to pull to the right but I was saving up for coilovers so I lived with it. Just installed QA1 coilover conversion with ride hight and rebound adjustments. Got the truck pretty level and heavier springs. Had it aligned and it still pulls right. The tech said the specs were right on and he couldn't figure out why it pulled. He didn't charge me because he couldn't make it right. Thought maybe it was the steering rack. The rack is a manual out of the junked Mustang II. Any ideas why it wants to turn right so much?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2009, 08:53 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Did you make sure the air pressure is the same on both sides.I have seen this happen and it was only the air pressure..

Also make sure you don't have a brake holding on one side..
Old 07-16-2009, 08:54 PM

Last photo:

What specs did the tech use? The original Mustang specs? Or the Fat Man specs? Are the bushings all OK, not worn? Tires in good shape? Just asking some obvious Q's to eliminate some obvious stuff.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:56 PM

Last wiki edit: Suspension: designs, shapes, sizes Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Check to see if the rear axle is square to the front axle, also try different front tires. I have experienced two tires same make and model with different diameters. That will cause a pull every time. Is the pull better, worse or the same under braking, accelerating?

Andy
Old 07-17-2009, 08:45 PM

Last photo:

The tech used the specs for a 74 to 78 MII. I'll have to get out the Fatman literature and see if it is different. I tried switching the left and right front tires. No help. Thanks for the input. I'll check the bushings, rear axle alignment and tire pressure. I think the brakes are OK but I'll check.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:33 AM
NEVER SATISFIED !!

Last photo:

Lots of us use the MII front end. So please let us know what you find out.

Thanks a bunch.

454 RATTLER
Old 07-18-2009, 07:59 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Fatmans instructions always stated to use the OEM specs, but a call to him can get suggestions on how to eliminate the problem. If I understood you correctly, the pull to the right developed some time after the initial install with the butchered coils. If this was the case, I would attempt to find out what caused the change and would add the rear axle alignment into the equation ie, did it slip back on one side? Is there a dragging brake on one side?

Trees
Old 07-18-2009, 08:29 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Mustang II IFS systems have a history of the lower "A" arm mount cracking or outright breaking when tubular control arms are used or when the strut rods are eliminated. If you are using tubular lower "A" arms take a close look at the area where the "A" arm bolts to the lower section of the crossmember and check for cracks or broken welds. If you find any have them professionally fixed asap. If you are not using tubular control arms and you are using strut rods check the area where the strut rod attaches to the frame for cracks or broken welds.

Do a search here and you will find a long thread that discusses some catastrophic failures caused by using tubular lower control arms without boxing the lower section of the crossmember.

Good luck.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:41 PM
No substitute for cubic inches

Last photo:

Just a thought. If you have a locker in the back you may want to switch sides on the rear tires as well to see if one is a little different diameter than the other one. Sometimes they wear differently and a tight locker will pull to one side if one is shorter than the other. 1/4" diameter or less difference with a spool will put you in the rail on the strip.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:01 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the continued input guys. The lower arms are original Mustang. I am using the strut rods as well. I'll take a close look for cracks. I do have a Currie Ford 9" with Trutrac posi rearend. I haven't had a chance to measure the rear alignment. I'll try switching the rear tires and see if that makes a difference. Thanks again.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:25 PM

Last photo:

Good news. Problem solved. I switched the rear tires with no effect. Measured the rear axle and it was pretty close. Leaf spring pins were not broken. Fatman literature says to use Mustang II specs. So I went to the local cruise in and talked to some of the guys and got the name of an alignment man that has been at it for years. Went to see him and when I picked it up he said "did you tell me it was supposed to be in spec?" The right front camber was -3.1 and the left +1.1 The right caster was -4.5 and the left was 6.0 The only thing that was close was toe. Moral of the story: just because the shop has alignment equipment doesn't mean they know how to use it. Like anything else repair related ask knowledgable people who to go to. Thanks for everyones input on this. Oh yeah, it drives straight now!
Old 07-29-2009, 06:34 PM

Last photo:

YAY! What do I win?

Glad to hear the problem was solved!!
Old 07-29-2009, 06:37 PM

Last photo:

A pat on the back and a hearty handshake.
thanks

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.