Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Are Mustang II Crossmembers Safe?
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2003, 07:38 PM
Rebuilt Excitment

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I am in agreement with Centerline in that maybe this forum could in the long run be used to improve the units that many of us now have under our cars. I have been on the NSRA Kansas safety team for 3 years and have seen some things that were so unsafe I told the owner that he should put it on the trailer to take it home. One thing I found on my own car this year is that when I installed the sway bar the links were too short (less than 1/2 inch clearance) and would some times make contact with the inner tie rod ends on the MII rack when I would hit a bump in the road, mostly at slow speeds, installed a slightly longer link and the problem was solved. Most of the things that I have seen were installation problems although a couple of my fellow inspectors found a unit in a car that was made out of much too thin of metal. On a related subject I have seen brake lines mounted with wire ties and just about every manner and the same car running without an e-brake, that is a disaster just waiting to happen. One last thing if you are at a show and they are doing safety inspections do yourself a favor and let these guys and gals have a look at your car, they are all volunteers and are not there to criticize you ride they just give you a second set of eyes that may see something that you missed, it does happen. Well I have put in my 2 cents worth so need to let someone else have the soapbox.