Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Are Mustang II Crossmembers Safe?
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2003, 09:47 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I know almoast all of the front crossmember manufacturers personally and I can surely tell you guys that there is no way ANY of them would pass off a product to the public if they even had the smallest idea of it being a flawed design. Now true there are a few "less desireable" designs and some front ends that should only be used on very light smaller street rods, there is one thing we need to keep from doing here and that is pointing a finger without knowing all of the CORRECT information. A failure such as a few mentioned in the previous posts could have been caused by a number of different factors. The largest factor in my opinion, besides the obvious faulty install is the condition of the original frame and chassis. If the original chassis is worn out and exhibits an abnormal amount of flex its a no brainer that there will eventually be a premature failure.
Personally, I would use an aftermarket crossmember long before I went to a bone yard to cut out an OEM piece...... My point in all of this is that we do not need to jump on the fingerpointing bandwagon until all of the votes are in. We also have to keep in mind that for the most part we are dealing with Hot Rods that have had decades of modifications performed to them and we are also dealing with manmade components that require a great deal of expertise to install properly.