Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Are Mustang II Crossmembers Safe?
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2003, 04:16 PM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

Tony has a good point. Hot rod suspensions really aren't designed to be pounded constantly like an OEM system. Many were designed for light cars and are being installed in daily driven cars. But on the same token we KNOW where the weak points are now. I don't expect small manufacturers (relative to the big auto manufacturers) to test designs as much as the OEMs, but there should be improvements made now that we know where the weak points are. There should be extra braces and warnings sent with strut rod eliminators as well -- that seems to be the crux of the problem. I haven't seen an aftermarket MII crossmember failure when used with strut rods, just when the strut rod eliminators are used. The only strut rod eliminator I've seen that looks safe doesn't mount to the crossmember -- it bolts in place of the strut rod and goes back near the same lines with a bracket that welds to the body. That type doesn't put added stress on the crossmember. The "A" arm types do.