Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Are Mustang II Crossmembers Safe?
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2003, 10:28 AM
Rebuilt Excitment

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I agree with both centerline and tony@airride in that it depends on where the engine is mounted on how much weight is placed on the front cross member. In the 36 the entire engine is behind the cross member and when I weighed the car after I got it completed in 97 the amount of weight on the front was within 25 pounds of the amount of weight on a V6 Mustang II. As I am not a professional welder I make sure and get my car up on a lift a couple of times a year just to make sure the I do not have any cracks. FYI i am running a stock MII cross member as no one was building a unit for the Pontiac when I started building the car in 1987. I have driven the car from Kentucky to Colorado and from South Dakota to Texas during that time and Have not had a single problem. I also have the strut rod eliminators and have not had a problem with them either. One of the problems that I have noticed on other cars is that some people try to get them very low and the lower arms are not setting level, this causes undo stress on all of the other suspension components, plus it makes them much more difficult to be aligned properly. My car aligns to stock 1976 MII specifications and I have never had a problem in getting it aligned. I have now used up a whole dime worth of time so I will get down off of the soap box for now.