Hot Rod Forum banner

Mustang II Differences

17K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  enjenjo 
#1 ·
Gents,

Was out at my local junk yard and was trying to get some parts off of a Mustang II front end for a build I am doing. Without going into all the details and ending up in a huge debate, is there a difference between 1982-1993 Mustang II front suspensions and 1994-2002 Mustang II front suspensions? Or do all of the parts interchange with different model years within the categories I have listed? Thanks.

Brent

#3 ·
Thanks for the response. I guess I should have been more precise with my question. Will the aftermarket tubular upper and lower a-arms that are sold everywhere for Mustang II front ends accept any spindles off of any year Mustang II factory front end out of a junkyard? Also if the spindles will fit the aftermarket a-arms, will the rest of the factory brake assembly also work with them? Thanks.

#4 ·
For the most part yes... most MII / Pinto front ends are the same and most manufacturers adhear to OE specs concerning ball joints... however, if you are looking at specific components from a specific manufacturer, I would suggest asking the manufacturer. :D

#5 ·
73 and older might be different. Engines were limited to the 1600 or 2000cc. I think the 74 Mustang II / Pinto suspension was a little beefier to handle the planned V8 engine option. Heck, early Pintos even had a flexible steering shaft. Whose brilliant idea was that??? :spank:

#8 ·
Yeah I am quickly finding out that I might as well buy a complete MII front end assembly which is going to be cost prohibitive for me. Looks like I am back to the drawing board. Anyone have an idea on an inexpensive coilover / disk brake suspension set up for a street / strip rod? I am building the frame from the ground up out of 2x3 .120" wall steel if that helps. I'm all ears.

Brent

#9 ·
in all honesty, by the time you buy junk yard parts, install them and then rebuild everything the kit price is a lot easier to swallow.
you will have all new disk brake parts, new bushing, new ball joints and a new rack.

keep in mind that you still need to update: steering column, master cylinder and all brake lines.

#10 ·
Ogre,

Thanks for the input. I might end up going that way eventually, but I am gonna look a bit longer for a reasonable alternative for a coilover / disc brake set up for my build.

I already have the master cylinder picked out ($140 for a frame mount unit), I can get brake lines done for next to nothing locally and I will find a column that will work for this build out of the junk yard and a friend and I will fabricate the steering linkage like we did on my Chevy Luv strip ride. It was alot of work but well worth it in the end.

#11 ·
Northstar T said:
71-73 Pinto front end is totally different than later Pinto and MII. they look exactly the same from 10 feet away, but no parts interchange. ya gota love those Ford engineers.

Russ
The only thing that I see different on the 71-73 Pinto and the 74-78 Pinto/Mustang II is the way the rack and pinon steering attaches to the cross member. The 71-73 Pinto uses 2 little platforms and 4 bolts to attach the rack. The 74-78 Pinto/Mustang uses 2- 1/2"(just guessing at size, cause I don't know the exact size)bolts that go through the crossmember to attach the rack. Is there anything else that is different like upper and lower arms? Perhaps someone with an interchange manual will chime in here.

#12 ·
MRTS33 said:
The only thing that I see different on the 71-73 Pinto and the 74-78 Pinto/Mustang II is the way the rack and pinon steering attaches to the cross member. The 71-73 Pinto uses 2 little platforms and 4 bolts to attach the rack. The 74-78 Pinto/Mustang uses 2- 1/2"(just guessing at size, cause I don't know the exact size)bolts that go through the crossmember to attach the rack. Is there anything else that is different like upper and lower arms? Perhaps someone with an interchange manual will chime in here.

Outside of the rack, the upper arm, lower arm, spindle, hub, brake rotor, caliper and bracket, strut rod, tie rod ends, and basic crossmember are all different. All they share is general design.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.