Mustang II Front End - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2003, 05:25 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Mustang II Front End

I am working on a 50 Chevy Sedan Delivery and I have located a complete front end assembly from a Mustang. I have a 350/350 setup ready to go into the beast and I am looking for some help on the front suspension. The system iI am looking at is a power setup and seems to be in good condition. Other than welding, can this cross member and attaching parts be put unger the delivery? If so any special suggestions on this swap? Are there any photos of this swap on the net? Thanks!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2003, 09:26 AM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Thumbs up

willys36@aol.com has your answer;

-Another Ghost Post From The Past-

[ February 22, 2003: Message edited by: KULTULZ ]</p>
Old 02-23-2003, 06:54 AM

Last photo:

i have just welded my mustangII oem crossmember in and taken pics of the process. i will get the pics developed this comming week and post them on my photoalbum,
Old 02-24-2003, 05:41 PM

It would seem this is very hot topic these days!! I have seem more about this subject lately. There is another forum that I use and they are not keen on the idea. It would appear that it will work and I think I will try it. My brother works at a NAPA store and it works great to get parts as needed. Wil I need to do much modification to the frame of the Delivery to do this install?
Old 02-25-2003, 10:41 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

I've put stock x-members into two cars so far and they work great. In fact, I wouldn't consider after market x-members over a stock unit for a daily driver for safety reasons. If your car is just for rod runs and Friday night Sonic Drive-in cruising, go for the after market units.
Old 02-25-2003, 12:16 PM

Most manufacturers will sell you welded-up crossmember kit for your application so you can install it and strip all the stock parts from your donor suspension and install them on your new crossmember. This eliminates the lack of availability of custom made components at the junkyard in Podunk Iowa where you have just bent a lower control arm.
I'd go for the crossmember, but leave the tubular a-frames and such to the boys who don't need to get home right now!
Old 02-25-2003, 01:49 PM
Toy builder

Last photo:

Now a days i would not even consider a stock stangII The crossmember is light stamped metal the brakes are to small for anything more than 2300 lbs and i would not use stock strut rods on a lawn mower. After cutting dozens of these frontends(also pacers corvairs and clips) out over the years and replacing with after market i can tell you there is a world of diff in steering ,braking,installation and just all and all driver feel. Most will never get enough caster to be able to not white knuckle drive it. Ask some one to drive there stock stangII and decide if you want a car that handles like that. The crossmember are not that much money and its well spent. There was one cry baby on a site that likes nothing but primered cars with red wheels( i own one so nothing wrong with them) that had problems with a stangII that was clearly installed badly and his ex wife beat the snout out of it so it failed(i think it was the cheeseburg/hamburg site or something like that,clearly run by girls with no talent).....all stangII's are no good and this coming from a site that only likes straight axles and crude arc welding . I have had no luck with the overweight guys stuff as the quility has been real bad but other than that,no problems with lots and lots out there. If your goona drive it dont skimp on the frontend.Its the thing that makes it injoyable to drive...
Old 02-25-2003, 04:36 PM

Smile

Well as it turns out the aftermaket crossmembers that are out there will do the trick. There are at least two out there that will bolt in and can be welded afterwards if desired. i think the best wat out is to r&r the stock parts onto the new crossmember. If I figured fabrication costs for the stck member it would get to at least half of the ourchase of an aftermarket member. thanks for all the insight!!
Old 02-26-2003, 04:24 AM
3rdmember

Last photo:

hey Phat, how DID that turn out?
funny, i haven't seen a thing posted over there about the "supposed" problem for a loooong time.

btw, i DO have a heidts under my coupe (w/strut rods), washboard gravel roads?
so what, there might be something down there i wanna see.....
obviously i beat the kitty litter out of mine..
ain't broke yet!
Old 02-26-2003, 06:04 AM
Toy builder

Last photo:

Hey Tom Well you know the way that board works if its bad they spread it all over the net.(moderator acted like he was the hero and got it takin care of,BS heidits are good people and would have takin care of the guy if he was not such and a-hole about it) Hedits had the car fixed for the guy but do you think he would show it? Not a chance.I even asked, That has handled very badly and was a good example of a bad install. Strut rods will work but they do bind a bit on full travel and dont hold and alignment as well as the tube ones do.(lots of them out there) The guys that bend them at weird angles are the ones i see break them or the frame tab. Its just a nice up grade if you do it with a tube all the way through the frame welded in 4 places and a 1 peice tube . You workin on the COE or?
Old 02-26-2003, 07:57 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Check out Street rod engineering out of Az. I bought my parts from the guy, 1/4 in. cross member, all parts are of a much heavier design than the rest of the dealers. Sreet rod engineering Prices are very competitive. Dan
Old 02-26-2003, 08:52 AM
Toy builder

Last photo:

He does use a sqaure tube one peice design for the bottom but it has the corners of the crossmember welded on. Now this is just and opinion but its a bit weaker if its not one solid peice. I also think he needs to step up a few notches with his welds. Have seen some that were ...well lets just say not the best looking in the world.(he wont take it back if you dont like it either) Hey if you got one and it works for you good. I would stay with the top 3 i mentioned. Have used a lot of others and each has it little problems. Some bigger than others. I wish some of the other manufactures would copy his lower a-frame mounts...thats the way it should be done in my opinion. I just cant sell stuff that the welds look that narly. Just being honest,not a pissin contest.
Old 02-26-2003, 05:04 PM
3rdmember

Last photo:

work on the COE!?!?!
surely you jest!
actually, i DID O.H. the qjet on it.
the other one rattled itself to death,wouldn't start....

got this "late" 48(52) susburban i been playing with.
g-body sub and a 500" caddy....

yep, kinda funny that there was NO pictures after the repairs on that heidts FE..

Dinger, i put a street rod eng. FE hub to hub kit in a 47 plymouth.
i just as well of built my own
they'll never see another dime from me....

did i contact them?
why?
can't return 'em....
oh well, i'll MAKE it work..
Old 02-26-2003, 05:27 PM
Slider in Wa.

Last photo:

You got a COE project? Would love to hear abou ti, and see some pix.
Slider in Wa.
Old 02-26-2003, 06:22 PM
3rdmember

Last photo:

<a href="http://www.roddingroundtable.com/rides/members/frame.html" target="_blank">http://www.roddingroundtable.com/rides/members/frame.html</a>

try that for starters....

well, that ain't exactlt what i had in mind but go down to gallery 5 and hit "tomslik"

[ February 26, 2003: Message edited by: tomslik ]</p>

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.