Hot Rod Forum banner

Mustang II Front End......How to

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  bigbird 
#1 ·
Where can I find a "How to" on Mustang II front ends. I would like one on my 50 Fleetline. Is there a step-by-step somewhere?

#2 ·
When it comes to measurements and specifics of your particular vehicle it will depend on who's kit you use. That said they all are pretty much the same.

I installed on on my '53 Chevy Pickup and the procedure will be very similar for your truck. Go to my web site and you can see a complete installation article. HotRodsAndHemis.com Just go to the '53 Pickup pages and you'll see the button for the Mustang II IFS installation.

Centerline

#3 ·
Centerline has the BEST pics on this site of his installation and he REALLY knows his stuff!!!

Do alot of research and then go with what will work for you. I've got a picture in my journal of my new Fatman frontend. I went with them because there wasn't anything out there that would fit my particular car.

There's alot of discussions and difference of opinions on many of the MII front end kits on this Board so do some reading before you buy.

#4 ·
Centerline... Awesome site. This is great stuff.. I have a friend who is a master welder so.... I think we can make it happen....

BigBird. Hello neighbor. If you only knew how much time I have spent on or over Ft McCoy....

Both of you should come over and help me do this.. I will by the beverage.. :D

#5 ·
The main thing to remember is that if you decide to use strut rod eliminators you need to box in the lower section of the crossmember where the lower control arm mounts. This will strengthen the crossmember. Also make sure you use a grade 8 bolt for mounting the lower control arm.

If you decide to use strut rods make sure the strut rod mounts are securely mounted to the frame. This can be done a couple different ways. You can either weld gussets to the front and rear of the mount as I did or you can weld the mount to a plate and then bolt the plate to the frame. The strut rod takes a lot of shock forces and needs to be secure.

Centerline

#6 ·
BigBird. Hello neighbor. If you only knew how much time I have spent on or over Ft McCoy....

That's where I work. The State Patrol Academy is actually located on Fort McCoy and I've been assigned there since '81.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.