mustang II front suspension - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2007, 07:40 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

why does everyone hate the mustang II front

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2007, 08:25 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32 duce
why does everyone hate the mustang II front
We don't hate it. The Mustang II IFS works well on many cars BUT.... there are just some cars that look like crap with a Mustang IFS installed. Any 20s-early 30's open wheeled car just looks like garbage with the Mustang IFS. There is no quicker way to lower the value of one of those cars than to screw it up with the WRONG suspension.

Face it, you asked and several people who have been in the hobby for decades and know what they're talking about have given you their opinions. Some things work on some cars and don't on others. The Mustang IFS is one of those things.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:04 PM

Last photo:

alrigh then wut else can i do
Old 11-25-2007, 11:56 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

302 Z28 ... is a Moderator here ... and has a IFS under his street rod
Centerline is a Moderator here ... and is a BIG fan of the Mustang II
Poncho 62 is a Moderator here ... and has built a lot of cool rides
I am a Moderator here ... and have owned 32's for over 30 years

F&J has lots of years experience building cars ... ( in fact one of the IFS photos I posted for you was of a 32 Ford chassis he bought with a IFS ... and he is doing away with )

4 Moderators plus one long time rodder ( F&J ) adds up to 125 plus years of rodding experience and advice ... and you insist on going the opposite way ...

Do what you have to do ...
It's your car and your money

Have a nice day ...
Old 11-26-2007, 07:32 AM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:

That Chevy body looks to be in super nice condition. I think most of us were expecting to see the typical "dragged out of the woods" body. You have a great start on what could be a super nice rod that should end up being a great investment for your time & efforts.

Compare some prices on those tricks you want to do to the Mustang front end, and a "traditional" solid axle front end. It may be little extra cost to go traditional, and that would really push up the value & looks of your 32.

You really should pick a theme for your car. You asked about full fenders a while back, but now want a no-fender rod? Make sure you are picking a style that you really want, rather than switching due to the cost of repro fenders or front end types. That's a nice body and most people don't get a project that good to build.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:47 AM
Last photo:

I am shocked at the condition of that 32 Chevy. You just do not find any car that old in that condition very often. Add to that fact that it is a Chevy and it's even more rare. To bastardize it with a Mustang II (original Mustang II) and a Ford 302 engine is a sacrilege. If it were mine I would go with a dropped front axle and the only engine it deserves....A CHEVY.

Just my 2
Vince
Old 11-26-2007, 08:04 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
I am shocked at the condition of that 32 Chevy. You just do not find any car that old in that condition very often. Add to that fact that it is a Chevy and it's even more rare. To bastardize it with a Mustang II (original Mustang II) and a Ford 302 engine is a sacrilege. If it were mine I would go with a dropped front axle and the only engine it deserves....A CHEVY.
If he was to go fenderless with a beam or tube axle, what would most of you choose for the spring set-up??? a Ford transverse or twin parallel??

I am on the fence on that issue. I can see that a Ford set-up might look out of place on a Chevy, but I am not sure if the twin spring would look OK.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:34 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

I too would hate to see that car ruined......or heaven forbid...."Rat Rodded".....It just looks too good in the pics. I am pretty sure he must have fenders....Thats the way I would go......but, I don't own it.

Still would like to know who's Vette is in the picture? Is it dad's..?...Car guy who may be able to help the kid out with some ideas?

Maybe, us "Old Farts" should keep our noses out of it....but he did ask, so we said what we thought.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:09 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62
I too would hate to see that car ruined......

Maybe, us "Old Farts" should keep our noses out of it....but he did ask, so we said what we thought.
That's where I am sitting ...
You can lead a horse to water but you cannot make it drink ...
Old 11-26-2007, 12:44 PM

Last photo:

alright, i really want to go the right thing to the car but, the problem is that i dont know anything about the one leaf thing and wouldnt know how to find one and how to install. this car is also going to be driven very offen so i thought the Mustang II would be best and it will be under the original front fenders and repo backs. this car is all steel and all reall. and the 302 was not staying in the car its just what i have right now. when the finish product comes out it will have a 350 with a th400. i dont see what is so bad about running the herdit control arms with coil over shocks, with a four link in the back with a ford 9 in the back, back to the Mustang II i also liked the power steering.... i also just bought a 78 mustang II with the 302 for 350$ so thats why i wanted to go that way.. it would be really nice if some one could find me prices of the mono leaf thingy.. the vette is my dads hes been restoring them his whole life, that one in particlaur is a 67 427 with tri power and air, but we have a collection of them. so im new to the whole street rod thing.....give me some advice
Old 11-26-2007, 03:05 PM
1929 Chopped Tudor

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod
Last journal entry: 1927 roadster
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32 duce
alright, i really want to go the right thing to the car but, the problem is that i dont know anything about the one leaf thing and wouldnt know how to find one and how to install. this car is also going to be driven very offen so i thought the Mustang II would be best and it will be under the original front fenders and repo backs. this car is all steel and all reall. and the 302 was not staying in the car its just what i have right now. when the finish product comes out it will have a 350 with a th400. i dont see what is so bad about running the herdit control arms with coil over shocks, with a four link in the back with a ford 9 in the back, back to the Mustang II i also liked the power steering.... i also just bought a 78 mustang II with the 302 for 350$ so thats why i wanted to go that way.. it would be really nice if some one could find me prices of the mono leaf thingy.. the vette is my dads hes been restoring them his whole life, that one in particlaur is a 67 427 with tri power and air, but we have a collection of them. so im new to the whole street rod thing.....give me some advice
I had not looked at this forum for a day or two. The body is very good and to put in a Ford engine and then later a Chevy does not make any sense at all or at least not to me. Have you made a plan? Sit down and figure the costs. Fatman Fabrication may make a cross member to fit your frame and the Mustang II front end. I think that you could get away with the Mustang II if you use the front fenders and paint the frame and everything underneath black. Straight axle for non fender vehicle. If you have front fenders that you are not going to use you have the option[U] to sell them to finance your project and go to a straight axle. Besides Speedway's straight axle that I had mentioned before, which is a very popular way to go, there is Posie's
http://www.posiesrodsandcustoms.com/posies-catalog/
Old 11-26-2007, 03:14 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Here is a 32 Ford with the after market tubular arms ... still NOT pretty ... ... But the main issues with this type front end under a 32 ( Ford or Chevy ) is the placement of the upper A arm ... you cannot install a fender in the proper position ... without cutting the fender out ... and the upper A arn has too much angle ...

To maintain proper alignment and steering geometry .. the upper and lower A arm needs to be parallel to each other and the ground .. like the ones above. The 32 frames are too narrow up and down for this. 33 up frames ... can handle the spread.

Most any street rods supplier has straight axle front suspensions for sale ...

Speedway Motors in Lincoln Nebraska sells them, TCI sells them ... ( that is the one I have below )

See how the A arms are so angled on this otherwise nice 32 Chevy below ??

On this 32 Vicky ... it has a straight axle ... see it peeking out ... and you can see the 4 bars from the side.

I strongly suggest you go buy a few street magazines ... and join NSRA to get their Street Scene magazine ... these are full of ads for suspensions ...

http://www.nsra-usa.com/

Is a decent book also ...

Amazon has quite a few books/magazines for the rodder wanting to read up before messing up ...

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_64u3titmfe_e
Old 11-26-2007, 03:19 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
under the original front fenders and repo backs. this car is all steel and all reall.
It's your call on if you will build a full fender car or not; but I think that body deserves the full fenders, and I think the value will be more that way.

I'm staying away from discussing Mustang 2 aftermarket parts.

Do what you want, it IS YOUR car, don't change your plans because someone says to if you really want it a certain way.

Back to the Ford type front end; Don't do it with full fenders. You could get an aftermarket dropped front axle to work with a twin spring setup like you have now. IMO, it would look fine that way. Here's a simple tube axle for chevs from Speedway:

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/7835...cketsandi.html

You'd need to get some specs as far as perch widths, etc.

EDIT; I didn't know "Deuce" was also posting about putting in a ford set-up. I'm not going against his ideas. I just thought a Chev twin spring axle might be more workable from where you are starting.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:22 PM

Last photo:

thanks ill look into that now
Old 11-26-2007, 03:53 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by F&J
EDIT; I didn't know "Deuce" was also posting about putting in a ford set-up. I'm not going against his ideas. I just thought a Chev twin spring axle might be more workable from where you are starting.
I have already said I would go with the twin leafs ... He asked about the other types.

With what he has ... I would get a new set of slider springs with less spring arch ... and ride.

Everything said here by myself and others is opinions ...
Most everyone has one or two ..

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.