mustang II front suspension - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2007, 02:59 PM
1929 Chopped Tudor

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod
Last journal entry: 1927 roadster
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by F&J
It's your call on if you will build a full fender car or not; but I think that body deserves the full fenders, and I think the value will be more that way.

I'm staying away from discussing Mustang 2 aftermarket parts.

Do what you want, it IS YOUR car, don't change your plans because someone says to if you really want it a certain way.

Back to the Ford type front end; Don't do it with full fenders. You could get an aftermarket dropped front axle to work with a twin spring setup like you have now. IMO, it would look fine that way. Here's a simple tube axle for chevs from Speedway:

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/7835...cketsandi.html

You'd need to get some specs as far as perch widths, etc.

EDIT; I didn't know "Deuce" was also posting about putting in a ford set-up. I'm not going against his ideas. I just thought a Chev twin spring axle might be more workable from where you are starting.
First let me say that you have given very helpful info. But your quote,

See how the A arms are so angled on this otherwise nice 32 Chevy below ??

about the red 32 Chevy coupe, sort of takes the fun out of hot rodding. A complaint over the way the car sits or the chop of a roof, fine. I get the impression that a very good hot rod is somehow disparaged due to what is less than 1% of the total car? This is too much criticism. I think that it is not that bad of a sacrifice for nice steering and ride. I look at this and say what a difference this is over a straight axle;what else has he done? .

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2007, 03:11 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

alright if i do the 2 spring when what do i do about spindles, brakes and steering????
Old 11-26-2007, 06:33 PM

Last photo:

alright guys i dont understand this why cant i find a cross member for my car?????
Old 11-26-2007, 06:53 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000jack

about the red 32 Chevy coupe, sort of takes the fun out of hot rodding. A complaint over the way the car sits or the chop of a roof, fine. I get the impression that a very good hot rod is somehow disparaged due to what is less than 1% of the total car? This is too much criticism. I think that it is not that bad of a sacrifice for nice steering and ride. I look at this and say what a difference this is over a straight axle;what else has he done? .
... SAFETY ... is and was the concern. He can cut the top off ... paint it black primer with mismatch wheels/rims and silly exhaust ... as for looks ... his car ... his $$$

If you know anything about IFS suspensions ... you know that the A arms need to be parallel for proper tire wear ... and proper contact patch on the road. Read this article ... http://www.longacreracing.com/articles/art.asp?ARTID=13

With a straight axle you do not have these issues ...

I agree ... the Red Chevy is very nice looking ... and a car most folks would love to own ... that's one reason it was shown ... nice car but the wrong A arm set up ... I stated that in the original statement ... I would bet the car has irregular tire wear ... and very possibly is not all that nice to drive ... @ speed

The relationship between the inner tie rod pivots of the rack and the upper and lower A-arm inner pivots is very important to control bump steer. The amount of rack travel during steer is also important to keep the turning radius consistant with the vehicle's design.

Safety ... that's the main reason the Moderators have all said that the Mustang II IFS is NOT the best idea under a 32 ...

I also had said that I would use the axle already under the 32 Chevy ... that 32 duce has.

There's a LOT of Monkey see ... Monkey do is the rodding world ... and Mustang II/Pinto IFS is at the top of that list IMHO.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:02 PM

Last photo:

most single leaf kits dont come with a hub or spindle???why is that and what are you supost to use, would stock work? and what about the steering, is it all stock?
Old 11-26-2007, 08:08 PM

Last photo:

agian with the front drop axle do i want a 4 or 6 drop, and were do i find the hubs
Old 11-26-2007, 08:21 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

try Jag xj front

I have 2 jag xj second series front suspensions. the cars have ugly rear suspensions with outboard disc setups but the fronts use forged a arms and come with rear steer and 11 1/2 discs. I bought 2 for $250 , I plan on making a new crosmember and coil overs with eccentric inner adjustments, I have 3 xj rears, one for the track t, one for the 32 channeled roadster and one for the 31 chevy roadster,..I will use the stock crosmember to make a welding fixture and be able to change the track width and just have to find the right width rack. I am taking the street rodder classes at Uvsc in orem utah. there are about a dozen of us grandpa's building our cars, with our senior discount the cost is only $105 per semester, the kids have to pay $1100
Old 11-26-2007, 09:32 PM
1929 Chopped Tudor

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod
Last journal entry: 1927 roadster
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce
... SAFETY ... is and was the concern. He can cut the top off ... paint it black primer with mismatch wheels/rims and silly exhaust ... as for looks ... his car ... his $$$

If you know anything about IFS suspensions ... you know that the A arms need to be parallel for proper tire wear ... and proper contact patch on the road. Read this article ... http://www.longacreracing.com/articles/art.asp?ARTID=13

With a straight axle you do not have these issues ...

I agree ... the Red Chevy is very nice looking ... and a car most folks would love to own ... that's one reason it was shown ... nice car but the wrong A arm set up ... I stated that in the original statement ... I would bet the car has irregular tire wear ... and very possibly is not all that nice to drive ... @ speed

The relationship between the inner tie rod pivots of the rack and the upper and lower A-arm inner pivots is very important to control bump steer. The amount of rack travel during steer is also important to keep the turning radius consistant with the vehicle's design.

Safety ... that's the main reason the Moderators have all said that the Mustang II IFS is NOT the best idea under a 32 ...

I also had said that I would use the axle already under the 32 Chevy ... that 32 duce has.

There's a LOT of Monkey see ... Monkey do is the rodding world ... and Mustang II/Pinto IFS is at the top of that list IMHO.
I misunderstood your reason for using this photo, earlier in the forum discussion. It was the mustang II front end was too ugly to be used and my error was I read this as being an addition to that school of thought of what is considered ugly or not. I will reread those earlier comments. Someone did say to me that I seem to like every car I see. Really it is more like every car I see there is something that I like (except a Scion). On that thought, I like the exhaust on the rat rod, personally I would either wrap all or none of the pipes.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:15 AM

Last photo:

alrigth about them spindles and hubs when you buy the axle they dont come with the wheel hubs, were can i find cheap hubs
Old 11-27-2007, 11:24 AM

Last photo:

i cant find a complete kit with hubs and brakes can some one help me here, who sells complete tubs axle fronts with brakes, or witch way is the cheapest, complete or non comp
Old 11-27-2007, 12:49 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32 duce
i cant find a complete kit with hubs and brakes can some one help me here, who sells complete tubs axle fronts with brakes, or witch way is the cheapest, complete or non comp
In your photo ... you have spindles and hydraulic brakes ... I believe them to be 54 Chevy ... could be wrong ...

Most axles are made to use 37 to 48 Ford spindles ... original ones or reproduced ones ... most of the brake kits today are made to use on those spindles.

I would just use the stuff you have ... possibly buy a set of lowering springs for the front ... and go from there ...

The NOSE high position of the car will come down a great deal when you install a engine and transmission. I bet a Chevy engine and transmission is a bolt it ... because the car was rodded before.

I strongly suggest you read a few magazine and or How to books before you ever buy the first part or turn the first wrench.

Last edited by Deuce; 11-27-2007 at 12:56 PM.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:56 PM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:

Building a car takes a lot of research

I just looked on Speedway but I don't see a bare tube axle with twin leaf perches. They have the KIT, but the springs & shackles won't work unless you were building a nose-high gasser

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/3338...-End-Kits.html

Your springs should attach in the front tip of the rail, and on the rear shackle on your front springs, the upper pivot should go "through" the frame rail itself, rather than it being BELOW the frame. So that's why you can't use that kit with those springs...it would sit higher... plus it looks Mickey Mouse. Maybe the Speedway printed catalog has that axle available without those springs??

I'd try to find the same tube axle and spec it for Ford spindles. Then you might score a set of used spindles that have the 2nd hole on the passenger spindle so you can hook up a Vega cross-steer steering box. Or you can get new Ford spindles. Then with Ford spindles there will be many ways for brakes...either disc or old school drums.

I'm wondering if someone makes replacement hotrod 32 chev front springs that would fit your frame with no mods. I have used de-leafed stock springs before, if they are in nice condition. That 32 looks like it's got the same type of tapered pin shackles on the rear of the springs that Mopars used. Those are usually worn out and you may find repro shackles for stock 32 chevs.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:00 PM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:

""Quote.... #56 Today, 04:19 PM
Deuce
In your photo ... you have spindles and hydraulic brakes ...""

I was going to suggest he use the stock axle but I thought I'd get reamed

I haven't gone back to look at his pics...is it later brakes?? I don't recall if chev had hyd in 32.

You could also send that axle out to get dropped if it can work for your needs.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:08 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by F&J

In your photo ... you have spindles and hydraulic brakes ...""
Looks like 54 Chevy to me ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	car2.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	25828  

Last edited by Deuce; 11-27-2007 at 01:12 PM. Reason: spelling error ... I do not use the spell check :(
Old 11-27-2007, 01:10 PM

Last photo:

well then, the way my car sits now with no motor is very close to bottoming out? ill take some pic's to show you.

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.