mustang II front suspension - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2007, 05:41 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

mustang II front suspension

Alright i have a 32' duce coupe, and i just purchased a 78 mustang two, and i was wondering what needs to be done to transfer the front suspension to the duce. thx josh

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2007, 06:16 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

I would NEVER put a Pinto/Mustang II under a 32 Ford ...

I think they are UGLY as home made sin ...

I strongly suggest you read this thread ...

IFS failure = tragic results

Even with fenders ... UGLY ... and the rack and pinion just complicates things ...

Now this is a must better looking set up IMHO ... even without the chrome ...

Deuce ... Moderator

The opinions above are just opinions ... MINE ...
Yours may differ ...
Old 11-24-2007, 08:09 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

I agree with Deuce. I'm a BIG Mustang II proponent in most street rods but for a Model A style or Deuce it looks UGLY! The only way to do an IFS on a Deuce is to use tubular control arms and coil over shocks. That system can be made to look pretty good with some chrome.

The best setup for a Deuce is either a tube axle with a four link or an "I" beam axle with hairpins.

Again just an opinion, yours may vary.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:00 AM
Last photo:

I also agree, the stock Mustang II front end is butt ugly on any car, especially an early Ford. If you want an IFS go with an aftermarket tubular Mustang II from Heidts or another manufacturer.

Vince
Old 11-25-2007, 07:55 AM

Last photo:

its a chevy by the way, i was looking at the mustang fornt because its cheap
Old 11-25-2007, 08:38 AM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:

Quote:
its a chevy by the way, i was looking at the mustang fornt because its cheap
If it's a stock fendered, stock frame & springed 32 chev, I'd go with a dropped parallel spring front axle. I can't see that that would break the bank. Some guys here could get you to a rod supplier for a relatively inexpensive good front axle to fit your 32 chev frame & springs.

If it is a no-fender or motorcycle fender car, or just a 32 chev body with a box tube homemade frame, I'd be tempted to go with the ford transverse dropped axle. You could scrounge up a used ford wishbone to split, used ford spindles/brakes, then buy an aftermarket axle.

The front end style can really ruin an otherwise nice looking car, and that's why all the negative replies here. Save money in other areas first...like a cheap driveline, etc. That stuff can be easily upgraded later if the car comes out real slick.

I'm still scrounging ford used parts for mine; very little invested so far. You just need to scrounge , and be there at the right time for a good deal. Some buy it all brand new if they have a big budget, but it can be done on the cheap.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:47 AM

Last photo:

what if the mustng II front was to be cleaned up and powder coated and maby chromed out, would that help at all
Old 11-25-2007, 08:49 AM

Last photo:

could i trash the coils and put in coil over to help the look
Old 11-25-2007, 08:53 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

OK ... it's a Chevy
The original Pinto/Mustang II IFS setups are still BUTT UGLY ... under them also.

Even with fenders ... see how open in the front the fenders are ... you see everything. The aftermarket stuff looks some better ( but not as good as a straight axle IMHO ) ...

32 Chevrolets are nice looking cars ... just be aware they are called " termites delight " because of all the wood in them.

A little known fact is that Chevrolet sold more 32 Chevrolets in 1932 than Ford sold 1932 Fords but very few have survived ... due to the wood deteriorating so badly ... and most folks ( myself included ) do not have the skills to properly re wood them.

A Pinto/Mustang II IFS is a decent choice in 33 up Fords and Chevys ... because the fenders ... rollover and cover most of it. Properly installed ... they can work nicely.

Whatever you decide to do ... keep us informed ... we love old project cars here @ Hotrodders.com

Deuce ... Moderator
Old 11-25-2007, 09:06 AM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:

Quote:
A little known fact is that Chevrolet sold more 32 Chevrolets in 1932 than Ford sold 1932 Fords but very few have survived ... due to the wood deteriorating so badly ... and most folks ( myself included ) do not have the skills to properly re wood them.
Redoing the wood with square & rectangular tubing is the way to go for a rod. Somewhere in the project journals here on this site, it shows a newbie father & son team doing just that on a 33/34 chev cabriolet or roadster.

I did my first tubing redo on a 30 DeSoto roadster in the late 70s and it came out rock solid....and I had no experience at that time ...I also used the stock twin leaf I-beam front axle with spindles reworked to fit Dodge Dart 4-piston disc brakes and GM 605 power steering I just saw a pic of it on the HAMB a few months back where the current owner had it at the Nats...and it now has an independent front end
Old 11-25-2007, 09:22 AM

Last photo:

thanks, think i found out what i am doing. i am prolly going to do the Mustang II with hertz control arms and coil overs. thanks josh
Old 11-25-2007, 10:08 AM
1929 Chopped Tudor

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod
Last journal entry: 1927 roadster
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32 duce
Alright i have a 32' duce coupe, and i just purchased a 78 mustang two, and i was wondering what needs to be done to transfer the front suspension to the duce. thx josh

Personally I would go with the mustang two front end if you are not building a show car and want the reliability. I will agree that they do not look good under any circumstance if you are not running full fenders. I understand that 4 cylinder coil springs are the way to go as it closely mimics the weight of a 30's car.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:39 AM

Last photo:

yah i dont want to run fenders so im planing on just buying new control arms and coils and clean it all up real nice, because personaly i dont have 3 grand to blow on a kit, i was also wondering if anyone knew were i could find headers for a 78 302 that will go over the frame rails, i know this is the place to post this but some one has to know. im looking for the header side pipes with no fenders thx.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:35 PM
1929 Chopped Tudor

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod
Last journal entry: 1927 roadster
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32 duce
yah i dont want to run fenders so im planing on just buying new control arms and coils and clean it all up real nice, because personaly i dont have 3 grand to blow on a kit, i was also wondering if anyone knew were i could find headers for a 78 302 that will go over the frame rails, i know this is the place to post this but some one has to know. im looking for the header side pipes with no fenders thx.
The headers are priced pretty reasonable on Speedway and I think Total Performance has a good set also. The complete straight axle with brakes hubs etc. runs around $1200 from Speedway too. I bought the complete kit. I am now thinking you want to put a Ford motor in a Chevy or am I miss reading you?
Old 11-25-2007, 01:50 PM

Last photo:

Yah Ur Right Ford In Chevy I Know Bummer But Wut Can I Do

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.