Mustang II frontend - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2007, 11:21 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Mustang II frontend

I have a mustang II frontend under my 1950 sedan delivery. I have had the frontend aligned but it still eats up my tire on the inside of the drivers side and when you turn to the right you can hear the tire screaming a bit. Can someone please advice me on how to aligned this frontend. I have used a tape measure and measured the toe-end and I have put a level on the rim and place a degree wheel on it and put it a ZERO but it still eats the tire up..... PLEASE HELP !!!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2007, 12:25 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie Autrey
I have a mustang II frontend under my 1950 sedan delivery. I have had the frontend aligned but it still eats up my tire on the inside of the drivers side and when you turn to the right you can hear the tire screaming a bit. Can someone please advice me on how to aligned this frontend. I have used a tape measure and measured the toe-end and I have put a level on the rim and place a degree wheel on it and put it a ZERO but it still eats the tire up..... PLEASE HELP !!!!
Welcome to the site.

This should be posted in the "suspension" forum not the engine forum.

You probably have rear steer spindles on a front steer conversion,, or vice versa. The ackerman is FUBAR. I have seen quite a few of these mess ups over the years. Most recently in September, and it came out of a fairly big name rod building shop.

Ackerman..... the inside tire in a turn should turn sharper than the outside tire. Cut your wheels and look at it.

If it IS turning sharper, then the geometry was messed when the installation was done. Either way, you have a big job ahead of you to fix the problem. It is not as simple as toe-in adjustment.

What usually happens is that the width between the wheels is altered by either widening or narrowing the cross member.

Glad to have you here. Look at your suspension and get back to us with some more info and the experts will try to find a solution for you.
x

Last edited by xntrik; 01-15-2007 at 12:36 PM.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:07 PM

Mustang II frontend

Thanks for the info on the Mustang II frontend. The frontend is a stock Mustang II with the stock a-arms upper and lower. Could you please tell me what is the solution to my problem? Should I cut the Mustang II out from under it and go to something like a frontend from TCI or can this one be saved?

Thanks, Hot Rod Rob
Old 01-15-2007, 01:29 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Thanks for the info on the Mustang II frontend. The frontend is a stock Mustang II with the stock a-arms upper and lower. Could you please tell me what is the solution to my problem? Should I cut the Mustang II out from under it and go to something like a frontend from TCI or can this one be saved?

Thanks, Hot Rod Rob
Rob, if the ackerman is correct direction, and if the MII is "stock" in every aspect, something must be welded on wrong. That would take some precision measuring to determine.

It bothers me that the problem is only one tire and I guess it drives straight down the road hands off.

I would look carefully at the corresponding lengths of the pitman arm and idler arm......... or if it is rack..... the tie rod length could be unequal or incorrect for the suspension arcs.

Longer wheelbase cars than what the geometry was designed for (106")usually don't cause this much problem. There are lots of them out there.

It's going to be extremely difficult to sit out here in cyberland and make an accurate determination. If I were looking at it, 20 minutes would do it.

Wish I could be of more help NOW.

edited: We should also consider the wheel offset/ scrub radius of the front end. Offset wheels and short tires aggravate the situation.

On thing that I would like you to do is to go to a level parking lot and do a slow circle with someone watching that tire while it squeels. Have them watch where the tire meets the blacktop. Is the tire sucking sideways? Is that tire turning in too much, or dragging and not turning in enough? Is the tire leaning INward at the top a lot, and more than the other side when you turn the other direction?

Last edited by xntrik; 01-15-2007 at 01:38 PM.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:47 PM

mustang II frontend

Thanks for the info. I like the suggestion of having someone drive it around in a circle so I can look at that tire. I have just eyeballed it in the driveway and it seems to sit just fine. Like I stated earlier, I put a straight edge on the outer rim and put a degree wheel on it and it is right at "ZERO". Because the tire is eating up on the inside should I put 1 or 2 or more degrees of kick on the wheel or what?

thanks, Hot Rod Rob
Old 01-17-2007, 03:53 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

Toe will do that as well as cambor.

Ackermann? How long do you spend in corners large enough to induce ackermann?

I would loo else where like worn ball joint and tie rods and things like that.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:35 PM

Mustang II frontend

Thanks for the info. I just found out today that the upper control arm bushings are bad. I will change them and then go from there...

thanks again
Hot Rod Rob
Old 01-18-2007, 10:21 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I just found out today that the upper control arm bushings are bad. I will change them and then go from there...

thanks again
Hot Rod Rob
You said you had the front end aligned....... that is a s%&ty alignment shop, and the guy is an idiot.

stay far far away from that alignment man. He's probably too stupid to flip burgers at McDonald's.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.