Mustang II help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2005, 03:20 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Mustang II help

I'm hoping somebody can help me out with my problem. The 51 Chevy I am restoring was sold to me with the stock front suspension missing. Since I didn't have a reference point, I purchased RB's bolt-in crossmember and top hat so I wouldn't go wrong with location. Now I'm beginning to read bad things about RB's product quality.(i.e strut rods) Reading these posts tells me that Heidt's or TCI should be my best bets but taking into consideration my situation should I opt to go with another company? I believe TCI has a bolt-in crossmember.

I don't believe in shorting quality for a cheaper price, so I have no problem with switching for better quality. I just have to consider the "bolt-in" aspect.

AND, If the RB's components are ok to go with, can I mix and match components? for example using TCI's A-arms? or any other combinations to key in on weaknesses. Please help, I need to do it right the first time!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2005, 09:37 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

The biggest problem with a bolt in Mustang IFS, and I don't care who makes it, is the fact that it's a bolt in kit. That is the weakness IMHO. When it comes to strut rods there have been several discussions here about why you need to use them and how to properly mount them to the frame. Just do a search and you'll find plenty of info.

I have not heard that RB's Mustang II IFS was suspect as far as quality was concerned. However once it's bolted to the frame I would weld it in as well. Also box the bottom of the crossmember where the lower "a" arm bolts to the crossmember. This is a notorious weak point in all aftermarket Mustang II kits and has led to some failures when strut rods were eliminated.

Good luck.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:25 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Centerline is correct. The main problem with all MII units comes @ the strut rods on the lower A-arms. DO NOT use strut rod eliminators, period. These things are not designed well enough to accommodate the huge forces @ that joint. Also, over design the strut rod rear mounts. DO NOT just weld the bracket to the frame. At least weld the bracket to a 3/8" plate with good gussets then bolt that to the frame w/ 4 grade 8 bolts. The frame material is just too thin to support the stress of a directly welded bracket. Best approach is to incorporate the stock MII strut rod sub- X-member like this.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.