Mustang II IFS - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2011, 09:10 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Mustang II IFS

I have been searching for prints, or drawings for MII IFS so that I can make a comparrison to my 65 Ranchero frame. Anybody got a link, or an idea where I can find this?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2011, 08:34 AM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last journal entry: Body on Frame today.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryG65
I have been searching for prints, or drawings for MII IFS so that I can make a comparrison to my 65 Ranchero frame. Anybody got a link, or an idea where I can find this?
Don't know about dimensions, but look here if you want a complete MII swap kit. In fact, here's pix of your model. You won't be disappointed!

Russ
Old 02-19-2011, 08:52 AM
3rdmember

Last photo:

try heidt's, i used on for one of my ramblers (it was for a chevy II but the idea is the same)
look at early mustang (64-66) or thay may have a direct fit one by now
Old 02-19-2011, 09:00 AM

Mii Ifs

Quote:
Originally Posted by S10xGN
Don't know about dimensions, but look here if you want a complete MII swap kit. In fact, here's pix of your model. You won't be disappointed!

Russ
Russ,

My problem is this,
1. I am a "low budget" hotrodder, and can't afford one of these after market units at this time. Granted, it would solve the issue quickly, and specific to the app.
2. I already have a COMPLETE IFS from a 78 MII that cost $200, (in my budget) and before I start to cuttin it up, I would like to find out if that is even needed. If it's possible to "unplug" the existing frame rails and then "plug in" the new unit, and if that is less of a hassle, then that's what I would like to do. But thanx for the link. If the financial situation changes, this would certainly be one of the best options. TCI has a specific app. for my project as well, but is much more expensive.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:07 AM
3rdmember

Last photo:

Quote:
Russ,

My problem is this,
1. I am a "low budget" hotrodder, and can't afford one of these after market units at this time. Granted, it would solve the issue quickly, and specific to the app.
2. I already have a COMPLETE IFS from a 78 MII that cost $200, (in my budget) and before I start to cuttin it up, I would like to find out if that is even needed. If it's possible to "unplug" the existing frame rails and then "plug in" the new unit, and if that is less of a hassle, then that's what I would like to do. But thanx for the link. If the financial situation changes, this would certainly be one of the best options. TCI has a specific app. for my project as well, but is much more expensive.

well,i'm not a big fan of the aftermarket a-arms and such (i like the ford stuff myself )
so you've got most of the stuff already.
try Zigs for the crossmember, they were the cheapest and most helpful (350 bucks if i remember right)

i wouldn't mess with trying to "cobble" the oem MII crossmember in myself and i SURE wouldn't cut the subframe rails to stub MII frame rails in...

or just rebuild the original stuff...

are you trying to get rid of the shock/spring towers?
Old 02-19-2011, 09:19 AM

Mii Ifs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomslik
well,i'm not a big fan of the aftermarket a-arms and such (i like the ford stuff myself )
so you've got most of the stuff already.
try Zigs for the crossmember, they were the cheapest and most helpful (350 bucks if i remember right)

or just rebuild the original stuff...

are you trying to get rid of the shock/spring towers?
Russ,

Yeah, the objective is to gain the extra 14" in the engine compartment for a 4.6 modular. My new unit was rebuilt about 1K before the car was retired for other issues. I agree with you about the aftermarket stuff. I know that Ford spent a lot of time and money engineering the MII, and in my opinion it is a much sturdier unit than what the market offers. Actually met a guy that put a Heidt's unit under his street rod, hit a pothole and had it collapse. Now I'm not sure if he did something wrong in the install, or if it is common to the aftermarket units, but I know the MII's drove everyday streets for many years without such problems.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:23 AM
3rdmember

Last photo:

Quote:
Russ,

Yeah, the objective is to gain the extra 14" in the engine compartment for a 4.6 modular. My new unit was rebuilt about 1K before the car was retired for other issues. I agree with you about the aftermarket stuff. I know that Ford spent a lot of time and money engineering the MII, and in my opinion it is a much sturdier unit than what the market offers. Actually met a guy that put a Heidt's unit under his street rod, hit a pothole and had it collapse. Now I'm not sure if he did something wrong in the install, or if it is common to the aftermarket units, but I know the MII's drove everyday streets for many years without such problems.

yeah, i remember the BS on that one..
on the other hand, i haven't seen the same problem on mine and i tend to be harder on stuff than most people.
i DO run strut rods if possible..
Old 02-19-2011, 09:32 AM

Mii Ifs

Quote:
yeah, i remember the BS on that one..
on the other hand, i haven't seen the same problem on mine and i tend to be harder on stuff than most people.
i DO run strut rods if possible..

Yeah, that's the other option for this particular guy. He's on of those people that always has a better story than yours, and LOVES to flap his gums. Very possible that he's full of BS. Either way, I have the 78 unit, and I'm really ready to get this thing started. Waited a long time to do my first.
P.S. Strutt rods are a MUST. They weren't put there for looks!

Last edited by GaryG65; 02-19-2011 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Strutt Rods
Old 02-19-2011, 12:34 PM
3rdmember

Last photo:

there's certain applic ations that you MAY want to run a non-strut rod lower control arm (header issues,etc) and i just drop a support off the frame down to the rear control arm bolt.
i can't take credit for the idea thogh but it just makes sense to me...

btw, i like early rancheros, there's a black 64-65 that i see every once in awhile aroud here that has dark center 5 spokes on it that i just love...

maybe someday..
Old 02-19-2011, 12:48 PM

Mii Ifs

Quote:
there's certain applic ations that you MAY want to run a non-strut rod lower control arm (header issues,etc) and i just drop a support off the frame down to the rear control arm bolt.
i can't take credit for the idea thogh but it just makes sense to me...

btw, i like early rancheros, there's a black 64-65 that i see every once in awhile aroud here that has dark center 5 spokes on it that i just love...

maybe someday..
The Ranchero that you just described sound exactly like mine. Black, early AR torque thrust 14", orig. V8 car, auto. I don't plan on changing the outside in any way, just upgrade the runnin gear. I'll send you pics if you like.
Gary
Old 02-19-2011, 03:47 PM
3rdmember

Last photo:

but of course, i'd love to see pics!

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.