Mustang II IFS initial caster adjustment - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2009, 08:06 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Mustang II IFS initial caster adjustment

I am installing a TCI Mustang II IFS into my '37 Chev coupe.

I have the crossmember bolted in, and the upper spring supports tacked onto the frame rails, and the spindles and rotors temporarily installed, to make sure the wheels are centered in the fender openings.
So far, it looks good.

TCI says 0 deg.camber, and 1 deg. caster.

Camber, no problem, Starrett dial level on rotor, with frame level, side to side,0 deg.

Here is the question.

How can I measure initial caster?

I have the frame level set for about the ride height and rake.

Here is what I did, I set a small straight edge onto the flats of the top and bottom nuts that attach the spindle to the upper and lower arms, and placed my dial level on them.

The nuts are only finger tight, so getting the flats parallel was easy.

I seem to be on target with the 1 deg. caster, after some fiddling back and forth, to get 0 deg. camber, and 1 deg. caster.

Is there another way to set the initial caster???

I just want to make sure my wheels will be centered in the openings.

P.S. I did a search, but turned up nothing, probably my search skills are not too good...

Thanks for any advice!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2009, 12:25 PM

Last wiki edit: Suspension: designs, shapes, sizes Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

If the spindle is constructed with the upper and lower ball joints and the spindle shaft in the same vertical plane (which it likely is), all you would need to do is put a straight edge between the upper and lower joint shafts and measure the angle with the wheels in a straight ahead position. If the upper ball joints is more toward the rear than the lower, it is positive caster.

As a side note, even though TCI recommends 0 camber and 1 degree positive caster, those figures are pretty conservative. I have set up dozens of these front ends and have found that 1/2 degree negative camber and around 2 degrees positive caster for manual steering works very well. The negative camber helps considerably with reducing under-steer, and the increased caster improves tracking on the highway. These settings are for manual steering. 1/8" to 3/16" toe-in is typical.

Andy
Old 08-16-2009, 02:26 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks for the reply!

I just went out and checked things out, and I seem to be in the ball park for caster.

I just wanted to be sure before I finish welded the upper spring supports, and to make sure my wheels would be centered in the openings.

Strangely enough, By scrolling down the page, I see that I had posted about the same question before.

Sorry for posting about the same thing again.

I swear that I used the search function, and didn't turn up anything...

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.