Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Mustang II Kit Failure
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2003, 11:30 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
The part of the bolt close to the threaded end was softer than grade 5 and near the head and the fracture, it was closer to grade 8, which was indicative of flexing (working) hardness.
Quote:
the bolt had 3 hashs, signifying grade 5. I, nor Fatman, think grade 8 is the answer because while stronger in tensil strength, they are weaker in shear, which is what became lacking when the bolt work hardened.
Ummm...thats a bunch of HOOOEEY!. Grade eight bolts outperform grade fives in every regard except for the Charpy impact test. If he was truly looking for exceptional performance in the Charpy test he would have used a forged structural bolt like a A-320 bolt which also outperforms the grade 5 in every regard. From his lack of concern and failure to take action in proactively searching out all those with the poor quality grade 5 fasteners he seems like more of a lawyer than an engineer. Five complete structural failures in 40 000 for a critical suspension component would mean a massive recall to a manufacturer like one of the big three. I think his product was never tested to failure if you ask me and he is terrified of that coming out in a court room. Funny how they always offer to bend over backwards to pay for the minor inexpensive inconveniences when you could have been killed by their faulty product.

Sounds like he is more concerned with a lawsuit than solving the problem and preventing deaths.:skeptic:

What else is new?

I would be interested in an online interview with the "Fatman" to discuss this matter if he is interested? Invite him over?