Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Mustang II Kit Failure
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2003, 05:35 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Chuck, 32 Vicky, Willys, good info. Willys, Fatmans cross member is made from 3"X4"X1/4" tubing and has the thick wall tube welded in as per your attachment and the end is welded up also. My lower arms fit on the outside of the cross member and does not have the extenders Adding the gussets/end braces for the bolts look like a good additional safety measure. Having a grade 5 bolt failure that was not properly heat treated is not the same as having a true grade 5 failure. Unfortunately, we are in the age of being victims of substandard products from overseas where quality control is non existant. Remember airliners jet engine attachment bolt problems? Our aircraft industry has horror stories about repairs being made overseas with substandard parts!!! When a bolt such as this fails 3/4" inside the hole away from the shear stress point, you have to wonder why other than bolt too small, too much torque, not enough torque, grade 5 vs grade 8. The threaded end of the bolt bent about 10 degrees and I used a 3 ft long cheater to bend it back straight and it did not fail. I still am trying to get the remaining bolt out of the hole and so far it has not budged!! I have tried turning it to break it loose, I have made a tool using a 1/2 inch grade 8 bolt to try and press it out after letting it soak two nights with high quality penetrating oil. I would like to drill it out, but we are talking 3 1/2" of free hand drilling and as good as my partner is doing machine work, we have not used that last resort. Anybody got any ideals? If I could get the car on a roll back without damaging it, I would make the 2 1/2 hour trip to Fatmans and let his guys have some of the hair of the dog's back!!

Trees